CVT CVT's and Comet drivelines

Steve, Went Out And Looked At It. About Half Way (1/4"). It Would Be Better If The 1/8" Spacer To Keep The Derailer From Rubbing Could Be Left Out. I Feel That It Will Be Ok. If It Fails There Should Not Be Much Damage. Then Someone With A Lathe Could Make A Better One. A Lot Of Lathes Can Not Cut 24 Threads Per Inch. Manic Machanic (jim) Can Make Them But Is Way Behind On His Projects.

Last edited:
Steve, My First Plan Was To Have A One Piece Adapter Made That Would Screw Onto The Bicycle Wheel And Then Have 1 Inch Of Male Threads For The Freewheels To Screw Onto. But You Would Lose About 3/8" Or More Space. Space Is Scarce, Spreading The Frame Might Be An Option. The Sealed Ball Bearings 3/8" Id X 7/8" Od Were Going To Be Placed On The Axle To Support The Staton Adapters With The 7/8" Id. But Most Of The Used Axles Are Bent A Little Bid. Bent Axle Would Do More Damage To The Threads With Every Revolution. I Emailed Bike Parts Usa, Asked If The 14mm Axles Would Fit In A Regular Wheel, They Think So! I Think, Just My Surmise ( A Surmise Is A Judgement Made With Scanty Evidence!! Lol) That The Freewheel Threaded Race Is Hardened And Thicker Than It Looks. The Other Cvt With The 52cc Big Bore Cag Motor Has Worked Super, But The Pedals Were Not Connected. I Had The Lh Thread Die Made To Cut The Threads On The Left Side Of Rear Wheel Hub , Bought Some Lh Freewheel Sprockets And Was Planning On Switching The Crank Sprocket To Left Hand Drive. But Then I Thought About Trying The Present Endeaver!! Lol.. Trying To Keep The Cost Down For Resale. Hope I`m Not Boring Everyone. A Bit Excited To Get It Road Tested. Ron Ps Under Normal Pedaling It Should Be Fine , Just Don`t Let Lance A. Use It.

Ron,

my CVT build has been at a standstill for some time now.

i'm a MB work commuter and needed to concentrate on my work bike.

this way that you have shown to use freewheels on both the engine drive sprocket AND the pedals BOTH on the right side is something that is going to simplify many peoples efforts.

i have already worked out the needed final reduction sprocket sizes to make your hub / freewheel configuration work with my GP460 engine.

thanks,
steve

Steve, Sounds Good. I Don`t Think I Am Familiar With Gp460 Engine. Do You Have A Pic. What Is The Cc`s? Is It Setup With The 78mm Clutch? I Have 17 Tooth On The Tranny And 72 On The Wheel with 49cc, It Seems About Rite For My Near 300 Lbs. Dvddtz From The Other Forum Rode Accross Town A Few Days Ago With His 69cc Cg. He Rode My Cvt And Had A Big Smile, Said He Wants One. Have Not Been Able To Get To Do Anything In The Shop. Monday A Big Truck And Special Yacht Trailer Removed A 48 Ft Yacht From My Front Yard. I Sold It 7 Months Ago, The Buyer Finally Found A Mover . This Morning Was Spent Signing Up For Ss. I Guess I Could Have Signed Up 8 Yrs Ago. (more Mab Parts!!) It Looks Like I Will Get Several Months Back Pay. I Have Not Felt This Good For Awhile.

Attachments

• 100_1033.JPG
    100_1033.JPG
    130.2 KB · Views: 488
  • 100_1038.JPG
    100_1038.JPG
    156.6 KB · Views: 491
  • 100_1035.JPG
    100_1035.JPG
    137.5 KB · Views: 473
  • 100_1032.JPG
    100_1032.JPG
    158.9 KB · Views: 442
Last edited:
i have a bunch of pics here on the forum, just search for "threads started by" under DetonatorTuning.

2 stroke 46cc, 4.5HP. available from Daves Discount Motors.

steve

I wonder if you guys have had the chance to check out the new continuously variable transmission that is out there?

It's called the NuVinci, from FallBrook Technologies. They've got CVTs (they call them CVPs.... not sure what that means) made especially for bicycles.

Does anyone have any experience with this? I'm planning on creating a hybrid gas / electric scooter, with a NuVinci hooked to the electric drive motor for that low-end gearing needed for fast starts and hill climbing.

Treewk, I have become a big fan of your work ever since you encouraged me with my CVT build a while back. It's coming along slowly because all the research and trying to make sure everything is perfect. You have solved a huge problem for me with this mechanically brilliant setup with the BB kit. I have a few questions if you don't mind and I know I'm showing my ignorance haha

As far as what I need:
1. Bb Repair Kit
2. 1 3/8" Id X 1 7/8" Od Shim Washers (for spacers) with a .125" going on first, next to the wheel and the .062" goes between the the 2 freewheels?
3. 3/8" Dia Axles Is this the bicycle axle and where you suggesting to use a 1/2" Or 14mm Rear Axle instead? And what is a support bearing? And you mentioned they are bent. Why is this? Just saw where you said the 14mm Axles would be the best bet.
4. Ten 3/8" Id X7/8" Od Sealed Bearings and do these just slid into the freewheel adapters or do I need to pack with grease, hammer them in, press them in?

And would it just be too much of a pain in the butt to try and put a cassette sprocket for peddle drive on there? You said something about stretching the frame for that. I'm ok with 3 speeds even though I would prefer to have a cassette back there as well.

Break, When I Posted About The Support Bearings, The Plan Was To Have The Threaded Coupler Custom Made So The Support Bearings Would Ride On The Axle And Support The Threaded Coupler (now The Bottom Bracket Part). Then I Came Up With The $3.66 Bottom Bracket Part. I Bought A Pack Of 10 Support Bearings, But Did Not Use Them For Two Reasons; The Bottom Bracket Part Has A Tapered Bore So They Don`t Slide In, And The Axle Had A Slight Bend, Which Would Tear It Apart. Thats Why I Recomended The Heaver Axle. It Has Been Working Fine Without Support Bearings And The Slight Bend In Axle. I Posted Details On Both Forums. My User Name On Other Forum Is "neat Times" ( My Boat Name). The Thread Is "cvt Rack Mount". I Had A Moderator To Shorten The Thread Tittle. The Support Bearing Are Not Needed. Imho. Don`t Have A Lot Of Miles On Them Yet, But Working Fine. I Think The 1/16" = .o62" Spacer Go`s On The Wheel First To Save Some Threads For The Coupler. I Posted Later That The Center 1/8" = .0120" Spacer Is Not Needed If You Bolt Large Sprocket On The Wheel Side Of Free Wheel Adapter. It Was Installed To Keep The Derailier From Hitting The Large Sprocket. If You Want A Cassette Them You Need To Make A Left Hand Cvt Drive. "nuttsy" A Great Member Built The Left Hand Cvt Rack Mount Before Me. He rides It To Work Etc, Has Lot `s On Miles On His. He Had The Robin 35cc Stroke For Several Months, Recently Switched To 52cc 2 Stroke, Very Happy With It. Also, I Would Buy The Rear Rack Mount From "bicycle -engines.com" For $49. And Use The Mount For Right Or Left Hand Drive. I Bought 2 But Have Not Used Them. They Came Be Flipped Over For Right Or Left Hand Drive With A Little Mod. The Mounts Are A Great Buy With Extra Parts For Various Set Ups. By Checking Both Forums I Have Covered It Well. If You Go To Left Side Drive You Lose The Free Wheel, Which Is A Nice Option. Unless You Spend The Buck`s For Special Hub Etc. Hope This Helps. Ps, Life Is A Comprise, You Can`t Have It All. (cassette!! Lol) Ron

Last edited:
Back