How to get CA license Plate

plate

Got mine last month. It's $18 and a couple weeks to get it in the mail. And yeah, it's a one time, life of the bike fee. Heres a pic if you've never seen one. I don't know why everyone covers their plate when they show a pic of their ride. Yer gonna ride it in full view of the public anyway. EVERYONE is gonna see yer plate. (unless perhaps you got something to hide.)
Big Red.

Attachments

• 049.jpg
    049.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 342
Last edited:
Abikerider,

no, I've must got some one new! They've sent it back twice now saying that they don't have the VIN on file even though I've checked the Section A and D box - Original application for license plate and ID card. I'll send it back in on a different form and make up some new VIN #'s and hope some one else gets my form. No big hurry since I am still collecting parts for my build.

Chris
AKA: BigBlue

InfoCentral,

if your moped was already registered and you have the plate - no need to re-register - It's a one-time fee and one-time registration, unless you've lost your plate or paperwork. Mopeds are not like other vehicles that need annual registration.

Chris

I think they must of changed the law since the last and first time this moped was registered. The plate I have on it now has month and year tags on it just like regular plates. The tag currently on it is 1985. So at a bare minimum I will need to get the new plates without the tags.

Now the question is how should I go about changing title at the same time. My old girlfriend gave this to me back in 85 and it long since dropped off the records. So should I just send in for new plates or go to DMV with a long story and attempt a change of title?

Plates

Hey Big Blue, Just send it in as a new registration. DMV is not known for their insite on how the universe works. You almost ALWAYS have to work around their inefficiency's. Perhaps punch a "-1" into the end of the vin number, turning it into a new number and call it "YOUR NEW BUILD". Might be a little illegal, but I don't think anyone cares enough to do anything about it. I try never to give advice that might be illegal, But when dealing with DMV and that kind of intelligence they sometimes leave you no choice.
Big Red.

Last edited:
Big Red,

thanks for the tip. Sent it in as a new registration on form 230. Answered "yes" to all 4 questions in Section A and signed and dated Section D. Used the serial number on engine and frame of bike. I guess I'll have to use other members suggestions on serial numbers.

Info Central - I don't know what to recommend. I would call DMV and ask for their advice on the registration before standing in line only to be told to send in a form.

Chris

Yeah, it would be hard sending in that form and stating I have 1985 Honda Moped and this is going to be the first time it has ever been registered.

New Registration.

Yeah, it would be hard sending in that form and stating I have 1985 Honda Moped and this is going to be the first time it has ever been registered.
Why not. So it got bought and put in the garage for 27 years. They aren't gonna call you a liar, not to yer face anyway. Stranger things have happend.
Big Red.

Bigblue,
Sorry to hear that. I have registered two mopeds in CA by mailing the form with a check for $19. I am in the process of doing a third moped. I hope their policy has not changed. I'll post whether this one is successful or not.

Back