engine side transmission w gears

Status
Not open for further replies.
Could try just the standard front chain ring derailleur. Or something along that line. Might need to be toughened up a bit or maybe not. Seems like it might be easiest way.

Neon,
This Is Kinda Interesting = Your Cartridge Gear Reduction Electric Drive Motor. If You Might Post Some Better Pic`s Of The Drive System As You Have It. If You Have The Original Rear Wheel On Your Bike It Has The Left Had Thread On The Left.

My Current Build Is A Electric Mongoose Cb 24v 450 ThaT Is Almost Done. A Very Easy Build Converted To Gas Power. Removed The Elec Motor And Drilled 5 Holes In The Motor Plate For The Pocket Bike 5:1 Gear Box That Reverses Output Direction. Starting With A 11 Tooth On The Gear Box And A 44 Tooth On The Left Hand Freewheel For A Total Ratio Of 20:1 Ratio. Need To Ream Out The 44 Tooth Center Hole And Bolt It Together. The Sprockets Came Today.

Not A Multi Speed With The Motor, But The Petal Power Is 7 Speed.

Just Posted Because The Bike`s Are Close To The Same Thing. This Is The Cheapest, Easist Build I Can Think Of Outside Of The China Girl. Several Motor`s Bolt Up To The Gear Box. Anything With The 76/78mm Centrifical Clutch. Thought you mite find it interesting. Ron

Attachments

• 100_1405.jpg
    100_1405.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 375
  • 100_1407.JPG
    100_1407.JPG
    129.1 KB · Views: 299
  • 100_1408.JPG
    100_1408.JPG
    125.9 KB · Views: 265
  • 100_1419.JPG
    100_1419.JPG
    120.8 KB · Views: 268
  • 100_1426.JPG
    100_1426.JPG
    125.4 KB · Views: 277
TREEWK, Here's the best picture i can post right now of the drive. I find your project very interesting. I had thought of sticking a pocket bike motor on a bicycle not so long ago. But the lady at the DMV changed my mind rather quickly however. Your Mongoose isn't the bike i originally thought it was. I was thinking of the bike that looked similar to a dirt bike. I still have the original rear wheel, but it's rather bent out of shape. A monster pothole ate it for supper on the way home from work one day. Not that it bothered me that much, i'm not a big fan of 700c rims and tires. So anyway i was stuck with a freewheel that wasn't of much use, so i decided to put it to use. The motor does turn when i pedal. I had hoped to possibly get some regen out of it, but my best effort only got 11.34 volts, a far cry from the needed 24v. I still have to put this bike and myself on a diet, as we are both still a little too soggy.

Attachments

• EDrive.JPG
    EDrive.JPG
    626.8 KB · Views: 312
Neon,

Like Your Dual Suspension Bike. My Battery Box Make`s A Large Storage/tool Box. Am Impressed With These Wheels, Seem Strong And Tight, Run Perfectly Straight, 26 X 2.0 Tires, Your`s Look Like 26".

Here Is Another Use Of The 5:1 Ratio Tranny, On My 7 Speed Shifter Build. Works Perfect And "much Fun" To Ride. Will Be 71 This Month And Need Dual Suspension!!!

Good Luck With Your Build, Welcome To The Forum. Ron Treewk / Neat Times

Attachments

• 100_1240.JPG
    100_1240.JPG
    117.1 KB · Views: 256
  • 100_1246.JPG
    100_1246.JPG
    149 KB · Views: 265
  • 100_1257.JPG
    100_1257.JPG
    169.5 KB · Views: 268
JACANO...
If you can lace a wheel, BGF sells a dual threaded hub, w/freewheel on left;left threads--$30. Bicycle-engines.com sells one too--$50. You could use the sprocket that comes with it and mount a 1 or 2 smaller front bicycle chain rings to it to get your "speeds". Either a front or rear derailuer may work for shifting too with a little modification. Use standard bike chain or heavier duty BMX chain...it doesn't break!

Neon--wow! 587 miles in a month?!?! Good going! Wait a minute; that's about what Augie has done on his "long-ride". About the same time frame too. Hmmm.
Wonder why nobody is gushing all over you? Anyway, nice job on the bike.

Ron, Treewk, Neat Times, how are you 3 guys doing these days?
Yeah, I went there.

Jacano i hope your not getting too upset at this unexpected jog from the topic. I should have posted the bike in the picture section in the first place.

Treewk they are 26" tires, 26 x 1.95 . The original bike that i robbed everything off of had 700c rims. But that bike frame is now being enjoyed by my next door neighbor who nabbed it during spring cleanup. He seems quite happy with it. So all well and good. It was a hard tail and i simply got tired of being spanked by the seat everyday. Plus the rear rim being eaten by the pot hole didn't help.

Nuttsy The miles may not be 100% accurate as i didn't always turn the speedometer on and it's not as fancy as some that turn on when you start moving, but those miles were put on this bike. I reset and calibrated it before i started road testing. The miles added up pretty easily when you never get off the bloody thing. Except to sleep. There's a few reasons why no one is getting too excited about this. Augie has been around this forum a lot longer than i have. He has much more respect than i have or probably will ever have.:bowdown:
Most people also could care less that it's electric. There's a lot of myths right now about electric bikes and no one can clear them up. Peoples minds are made up and nothing that anyone can say or do can change it. All i know is i really like the smoothness that comes from an electric motor. No more tingling hands or numb butt after a long ride. I also like the feel of the pull when you hit just the right gear and have just the right amount of throttle. Plus hearing the motor change pitch when you shift gears is just neat sounding.

I Thought My Electric To Gas Bike Fit Right In And The Motor Side Transmission You Referred To. . I Can Delete In A Heart Beat, As I Don`t Care One Way Or The Other. Just Offered Idea`s To Others. Ron

I thought it fit in too, i enjoyed every last picture and detail. But i kinda went off in left field. didn't really mean to.

its all good, interesting to see how everyone else is using different drivetrains

If you have A idea good or bad. You can be sure some one
else had the same idea. The fact that their none on the market
should tell you some thing

I have TWO good ideas. One incorporates a friction drive housing with chain drive.:unsure:

The other involves another friction drive housing with GEBE drive ring and 15-tooth drive pulley.

The fact that they're not on the market tels me....

I'm the smartest guy on the whole planet!:giggle:

Well, maybe Ron and me.

Good morning, Ron!

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back