Help me decide which setup to go with!!

I have thought about moving the tank, but I am not sure if I will need a fuel pump if the tank is lower than the carb. If so, I know a pulse pump is pretty cheap. I am using the throttle that came with the kit, if you look really close at the first pic, you can see it under the brake lever. I was also thinking of a different throttle because this one is hard to set. I set it where WOT would be easy to achieve, then it wont go back far enough to idle when you release it. I really have to pull the lever really tight to get the throttle at WOT when the idle is set right.

Last edited:
I can't really see the throttle in the pics...is it this kind? http://www.bikeengines.com/throttle.gif
If so that's the same one I have on mine. Luckily I have grip shift gears on my bike so there is one less lever on my handle bar. You might think about swapping that one out for a grip style throttle.

Thanks for the info on the weight. It's good to know I'd be getting about the same MPH.

I have thought about moving the tank, but I am not sure if I will need a fuel pump if the tank is lower than the carb. If so, I know a pulse pump is pretty cheap. I am using the throttle that came with the kit, if you look really close at the first pic, you can see it under the brake lever. I was also thinking of a different throttle because this one is hard to set. I set it where WOT would be easy to achieve, then it wont go back far enough to idle when you release it. I really have to pull the lever really tight to get the throttle at WOT when the idle is set right.

That throttle wouldn't be my first choice, that's just like a goped throttle. I'd definitely get a twist throttle. http://www.gasbike.net/product_94_detailed.html

And I would try a 4L HT tank http://www.gasbike.net/bike-motor-part-oil-tank-4L.html just to see if it works without the pulse pump. I haven't played with them yet but i would if i was using your setup.

IM thinking of using the bottom mounted 2L tank http://www.gasbike.net/bike-motor-parts-long-oil-tank-gasoline-tank-black.html and I want different handlebars and can't find a style I like that works with my setup :( I'm using some bars off of my haro bmx bike atm and they look funky and are super heavy but are taller by like 7" so they are more comfortable than the almost straight aluminum bars that were on it.

i found your tires

http://www.niagaracycle.com/product_info.php?products_id=433189

These are what I have now, haven't had engine power too them yet but I notice that for being a slick they have good grip on smooth surfaces because the rubber compound is kinda soft. That may mean short life but we will see. I have disk brakes on my M/B and I can't really brake the rear grip loose to whipp brake like I could with a knobby " this is/was my everyday non motored commuter bike "

http://www.niagaracycle.com/product_info.php?products_id=433189

These are what I have now, haven't had engine power too them yet but I notice that for being a slick they have good grip on smooth surfaces because the rubber compound is kinda soft. That may mean short life but we will see. I have disk brakes on my M/B and I can't really brake the rear grip loose to whipp brake like I could with a knobby " this is/was my everyday non motored commuter bike "

I was in town today and stopped in at ****s Sporting Goods, and there they were, 11.99 just like you said!!! I put them on today, and let me just say.....If I have a flat tire on the rear on the road....I am screwed!!!! I have gotta come up with something better to remove the rear wheel. If you look in the pic you can see that I am using the axle as the only support for the adjustable rods....bad Idea....but it looks clean!!!:geek: Anyway thanks for the info on the tires, they ride really smooth.
I screwed with this mickey mouse throttle today for 2 hours!!!! I am just gonna get something different, it sucks so bad. The lever just flat out doesn't have enough travel to open the throttle all the way, or adjust it where it idles at 4000 rpm, crank it up n the bike goes flying across the yard with noone on it....."almost" happened!!!!!

Awesome man glad they had em at the same price for ya. About the throttle adjustment issue, If you have a low speed fuel adjustment on the carb you can bring the idle down. i think that a twist acctuator will work best for you. But you will need another cable as well because that one you have won't work on a twist throttle.

Last edited:
Woah OK i just realized that you have a governor on that thing! I personally would take that off and govern its rpm myself with cable adjustment. I doubt that motor will frag without a limited throttle, it probably is only capable 8500rpm anyway without modification. So in short the throttle is probably fine and the issue lies in that governor.

Well, I figured out my throttle problem I just needed to drill the hole in the control lever a little closer to the pivot point so it will get the full actuation. Worked great. Anyway, I think I will leave the governor alone for now, I just like the peace of mind it gives me. Plus I am already over the speed limit for NC. I would probably tighten the governor spring a bit instead if removing it all together. I took the bike out for my first test run today!!! 30 Miles round trip!! It was awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The wind was a little rough but still, on the way to town I averaged about 33 MPH, and on the way back 35 MPH. There was about a three mile stretch of flat road on the way back and the speedo never dropped below 36 MPH. The wind may have been behind me or something but I was running around 7800 or 7900 rpm. I set the bike up off the ground and with no load the governor cuts back at 8000 rpm, so I was nearly maxed out. I must say, if you want to get noticed riding around town....dont buy a 100k dollar car.....just buy a bike and put a motor on it!!!! I just know there are some people looking for a neck brace right now after I drove by!!! One guy nearly wrecked he was looking so hard!!! Haha!! It was more fun than I have had in a long time!!!

I'm calling it finished!!!!!

picture.php

Brought it down to the beach this weekend! Just awesome!!!!!!!I have about 120 miles on it so far, figured out a few snags, and I think its done!! Its funny that I dont get near the attention at the beach as anywhere else...I guess you see alot of things like this at the beach though. I have still had people stop me to talk to me about it, one guy asked how much I would charge him to build him one!! LOL!! I should get a hundred or so of these bikes made up, maybe friction drive or whatever and open a rental place down here on the beach. I think that would go over pretty good. There are places down here that rent regular bikes, and they do good. The best part is the look on the young teenagers face as I ride past them on their bike!! LOL!!:D

Back