Wind and Overkill

Lmao! So photo, you want to come cry about screwing it up for others? How does that 80cc red bat engine of yours run? I bet its got good acceleration. Now I did attend Detroit public schools and ain't no math magician, but I am pretty sure 80 is bigger than 49. What did you have to do to get your motorized bike properly registered as a motorcycle. Which it legally is, if that 80cc engine is installed on it. So, who's screwing what up for who friend?

Last edited:
wisdom i sold that thing last yr when i joined the forum after i found out it was illeagel so i dont know how it runs or if it wven runs anymore i havent heard did you see the video where i replaced it with the 49cc motor the black one I still got that one dont use it anymore though now all i run is 49cc friction drive and thats all i need it does 25 to 30 mph all day long and it is leagel thats fine IF you can get it leagel but the way the states flip flop on theyre laws to make it work for them i dont see it happening honestly thats just like with my other hobby rc aircraft the goverment cant make up it's mind on weather we can use them as uav's so on both points it is a wait and see propition .

Screwing what up? Did you happen to read the part about me being willing to register it as a motorcycle if that what it ends up taking? I read about all sorts of people here running illegal engines but trying to hide it, or making it look legal while it really isn't. Or people who run way past the legal speeds for a motorized bike. I'm not trying to hide anything, and I'm not trying to lie my way around the laws with some sneaky decal or serial number changes. THOSE people are the ones you need to cry to about "screwing it up for the rest of us" and stop whining on my thread!

oh believe me i've raised cain with everybody about the leagality's of it it can take one person to get killed on one of these bikes and boom ban city i dont tell u what to do i just wanna protect my rite to have these and be able to ride leagly without harrasment

I feel you photo, which is why I am willing to do what it takes to keep it legal. If I'm on the right side of the law, or as close to it as I can get, showing good faith in wanting to cooperate with the laws, I am confident I will be fine. Its when people start being sneaky, deceptive and dishonest that the problems really start to flow.

I dont like to make waves but when freedom is in jeperdy i will defend it. I always have and will that just me. I think that . what was it 107cc? Would be awesome on a gocart or something like that. I think it would probally be to heavy for a bicycle. But i havnt seen the size of it so i cant say. I got stopped by a hiway patrolmen this morning and he liked my friction drive kit. he asked the size of the motor first thing i told 48.5 cc whitch is exactly what it is. And he told me thats perfect then he asked how fast will it go i told him 20 to 30 mph and he said dont go no faster. And asked if i had a speedo i told him yes and he said keep it within the limits. If i would have had a big motor like the one u got. I would have been busted big time for no motorcycle licnese and no tags or insurance being leagel saved my bacon. He seen me a few minutes a go and he waved as he went by. thats why i dont run motors any bigger than the law allows i cant afford a ticket rite now . did u ever get that motor put on or u still working on it

Yup, 107cc. It will also be perfect for maintaining a reasonable speed driving up Monteagle Mountain in TN. Anything less, and I'm walking my bike up it. That's the whole point behind having excess horsepower. Having to ride up a mountain, all of a sudden, it ain't excess, its needed. A typical car can travel at highway speeds on flat Roads with no wind on less than 30 horsepower. However, driving up a hill requires much much more. My bike will be legal, and be reasonably equipped for the tasks I expect it to accomplish.
Yeah, its heavy. The engine, stock and running, is 30 pounds not counting fuel. I can get that down, and the total gain of all involved to get that engine on my bike will be less than 35 pounds minus fuel. Truth be told, the weight of the bike is almost a non-issue unless your racing. Before I head out across country, I have 55 more pounds to lose. Since I ride regularly without a motor at all, and am obese right now, that's the same as if I only lose 20 pounds and don't put an engine on at all. So see, weight ain't nearly as important as people would have you believe.

I also have to lengthen the wheelbase by 20" in order to keep the weight low and out of the way of my feet when I pedal. That means low speed riding will be more lathargic, but all in all, it will make for a more comfortable ride.

As you can tell, I'm still gathering materials and designing just what this project will take to become reality.

When I get pulled over, I will offer to race the cop. The only rule will be we can only consume a half ounce of fuel each, first one to a 1/4 mile wins! lol

I already have a tube installed in my handlebar to store the paperwork I will have to pull out to justify my meat motor driven gasoline assisted hybrid moto-bicycle.

Yup, its gonna be an interesting ride. Especially considering it will be mechanically and electronically limited to 30mph. I could gear it to do 55+ easily, and I know most people with that much excess horsepower would do just that. As difficult as it was to turn at 40mph, I see no sense in high speeds. Now of I were 5' and could ride a bmx bike comfortably, them 20" wheels would be the ticket for 40+ but then you run into all sorts of stresses on other componemts that make it far too risky. I firmly believe anything over 30 mph sustained speeds on bicycle components is foolish at best, deadly at worst.

*stepping down off my soapbox*

I firmly believe anything over 30 mph sustained speeds on bicycle components is foolish at best, deadly at worst.

*stepping down off my soapbox*
I wish everybody else thought that way. Thats why i fuss when i hear that someone wants to put 200 hp motor on a bicycle figuretivly speaking. You need to look at augidogs motorized bicycle it is huge well he is way over 6'6 his bike is called. Sabrina he raced at the salt flats and won his bike has got to be as long as he is tall he built it his self talking about obese i was 135 before i got sick now im 230 and slowly loosing it now im 208 i had thyroid cancer and im also a diabetic on 4 shots a day i use to do bicycle touring on a regular basis it was nothing for me to pedal 100 miles a day now i'm lucky to hit 20 a day thats another reason im so protective of these bikes im 39 now and quit smoking thats when i got sick go figure you will probally wanna use moped not scooter wheels moped wheels are designed for that stuff thats what sabrina has on it here is a site to check out http://www.motoredbikes.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=26169&d=1274195027 that might be something like you wanna do

Last edited:
Truth be told, the weight of the bike is almost a non-issue unless your racing. Before I head out across country, I have 55 more pounds to lose. Since I ride regularly without a motor at all, and am obese right now, that's the same as if I only lose 20 pounds and don't put an engine on at all. So see, weight ain't nearly as important as people would have you believe.

Not trying to be argumentative but that's the reasoning for having a motorcycle, IE: twist the grip and power on. That said however, one begins the power:weight ratio chase, more power equals more weight so the need more power arises. Weight for a touring bicycle, whether pedal powered or motor assisted, is a BIG deal. I took an 800 mile trip on a MAB last year and will say the lighter the better. My MABs now all weigh in at 50 lbs or less complete with fuel, that's my benchmark and wouldn't have one heavier. To each their own but for mea big part of the equation, the beauty and freedom of having a MAB, means having the original sweet functionality of a well tuned bicycle impacted as little as possible with the added gift of power assist when needed. More than that and I'd just get a real motorcycle.

I agree Happy. I had an Xtracycle on a Trek mountain bike, and liked the added versatility, and learned to ride with a "lazier" bike, so I know the added wheelbase on this project will be reasonable for me. I also love the flexibility of a fully functional and ridable bicycle with an engine when I want it. I'm being very mindful of the limitations of bicycle equipment so weight will stay within the realm of what the same components would have to endure without the engine. The exception is that the rear swingarm and wheel don't have to endure the torque of a 5HP engine, so they will both be beefed up accordingly. I was just looking in to 12g spokes for the rear wheel, although I have been told several times that 14g are plenty.

As for a real motorcycle, well, I have never liked them. Sitting on top of a 75HP lawnmower engine and flying along at 70mph has always seemed proof of mental instability. I dumped my share of bicycles on pavement, gravel, and grass. None of it felt good. And it was all at 30mph or less! I have no desire to learn how fast my body decelerates on pavement, from 70. No, if I'm gonna go over 30 for long, I'll happily wrap myself in all the steel I can muster! And besides, a motorcycle needs way more that a half ounce of fuel to win a 1/4 mile drag race!

Fair enough WW, you've been pretty cool in response to these digressions into your thread.....but I never miss a chance to discuss the "philosophy" of MABs, heh.

Travel well, may the skies be clear, the wind behind you and smiles greeting you along the way.

Back