Staton friction drive on a 29 mountain bike?

I realized a day or so after I got the kit that the part I mistook for another clutch drum was actually an engine spacer. I felt stupid for not realizing that. At least I refereed to the directions before continuing.

The kit I got fit my HS142 engine perfectly. I'm just waiting for some bracket extenders for the rear mount and a gas tank. I'm going with a Honda GX50 gas tank so that way I won't have to do any drilling. For cargo, I got a lockable plastic 50 cal ammo can from Case Guard that I'm mounting to the left side with brackets. I would just need to figure out where to put my tail light.

I realized a day or so after I got the kit that the part I mistook for another clutch drum was actually an engine spacer. I felt stupid for not realizing that. At least I refereed to the directions before continuing.

The kit I got fit my HS142 engine perfectly. I'm just waiting for some bracket extenders for the rear mount and a gas tank. I'm going with a Honda GX50 gas tank so that way I won't have to do any drilling. For cargo, I got a lockable plastic 50 cal ammo can from Case Guard that I'm mounting to the left side with brackets. I would just need to figure out where to put my tail light.

I suggest as far rearward as possible as it will have the greatest visibility. Also higher is better.

Since it's a 29 bike I'm using, I think the rear mount will be plenty high for tail light visibility. Just would need t figure out how to get the tail light I have to fit. I could try zip tying it on there somehow or get creative with brackets. I got a planet bike tail light and an adapter for it so I could try zip tying the light adapter on the skewer rod in the rear.

Got it mostly finished. I'm waiting on a GX50 fuel tank that can work with my engine because the 64 oz tank I got from Staton Inc. had fuel lines that were too small to use with my engine. It's a bit heavy with the 49cc 4 stroke I have on it so I might switch to a Honda GX35 to reduce weight and from what I hear they are bulletproof compared to Chinese clone engines.

Took it for a ride in pedal mode to see how it is with a motor and seems to ride great. Hardly notice it much when I raise the roller above the tire. Think I need to add more air in the tires because of the extra weight of the kit and engine. Might go with some street tires to save me the trouble of using knobby tires and to help performance. Just have to figure out a throttle setup and a kill switch next.
IMG_0601.jpg

Now I want to switch to the Honda GX35 to reduce weight and improve reliability. I would go with a GX50 but it would be just as heavy and requires modding of the shaft to get a clutch on it. But the GX35 already has a clutch installed and it's lighter & cheaper than a GX50. The GX50 would cost about $400 at most vendors plus another $120 for a clutch kit for it. The GX35 is only around $260 with a clutch built in and it would be bulletproof compared to the Chinese engine I got on there currently. Sure the GX35 has only 1.6 HP compared to the 2.5 HP the Chinese 49cc has but the reliability would be worth it. As long as I can get it up to 25 to 30 mph, I'll be happy. I can settle for 20 mph at the lowest for top speed as long as they are fuel efficient.

Back