Rough running

Why did you cut a hole in your clutch cover and why isn't there a screw holding the primary gear on?

the primary gear screw came out at one point while riding and blew that hole in the cover. I actually did not realize the screw had come out again until you pointed that out... that sucks... I had even marked it to make sure it wasn't coming loose. Is there a good place to get another one?

that first frame cracked because your motor was badly mounted - those screws for the water bottle and the bossed areas they screw into will not allow a motor to sit flush with the frame - one thing to be done is to take out the screws and grind the area flat, but I prefer to cut a piece of PVC and drill a hole in it to allow the bossed area to sit in the hole while motor mound then sits flush with the PVC

no rubber should ever be used in a motor mount - add a piece of PVC between rear block & frame too

that crank screw should be put on with the lock washer and driven in firmly with an impact driver, I know of no easier way to get a slotted screw in firmly enough

The the metal around the crack in the frame tube is gray/silvery. This is a sign of a Chrome-Moly frame. The more
expensive Chrome-Moly frames are Butted and are thinner in the middle and are thicker at the tube end welds. If this
is the case then this frame is not the best to mount a in-frame motor. I would avoid bikes with a sticker on the
seat tube that has the word "Butted".

Last edited:
today I checked the crank seals and ordered new parts. There is definitely a leak on the magneto side, how should I approach this?
I ordered a new primary gear screw, gear cover, and stronger head studs (it looks like there is plenty of oil leaking around the head, and I'm still using the original studs... figured it wouldn't hurt)

try to pry it out using a jewelers screwdriver and if it won't come out then
use a torch to heat up around the seal before prying the seal out

Back