HELP Having engine trouble tried everything!

Johnschoepel

Local time
4:24 AM
Hi I've been having trouble with my engine. I try starting up my engine by getting some speed popping the clutch and etc. The engine will pop and after about 7 10 tries it will fire up and run for about 20 seconds then die. I try starting it back up and it will not start up after that last 20 second of running. I repeat everything the next day and it does the same thing. In conclusion engine will start and then die.

Things I've tried-
Replaced gasket
Have lots of spark
I checked the magneto
Replaced carb
Made sure petcock was working and made sure I was getting fuel.
Checked for piston damage
Engine has lots of compression and spark

Please help! Thank you!

Try running it with only a lil bit of the chokechoke open. When it fires up ride then slowly open the choke after about 2 minutes of riding

Thank you but, ive tried running the choke in all positions it does not effect the engine it will still die.

loose wire or blocked gas tank vent are first things that come to mind

I've checked all wires and tested them I am getting spark. I've tried disconnecting the kill switch and trying still, nothing. The idle screw Is screwed in 3/4 of the way I don't think it's too low. I've also tested the gas vent and made sure it was letting gas through. There could be an air leak I just don't know where ibe tried nearly everything I think!

I'm in the same boat you are. My master link broke on my way to work and I replaced it the next day and now my bike won't start. I have compression spark I change the coil Magneto. It will fire but it just puts then dies. I out a new spark plug in it. I even took it out an pedaled with the clutch engaged to flush anything out. It just won't start all the way.

has to be the ignition system.
unless you are checking for spark with a timing light while it's running (because the light won't turn on unless there is a surge of current going thru the wire to the spark plug which indicates a spark event) you cannot be sure the spark is happening. It can spark outside the engine with the plug removed but not inside the engine. Why? The voltage needed to make a spark increases with pressure increase.
The current return path can be intermittent if you haven't removed the shellac from where the 4 screws contact the stator coil frame.
The stator coil can have an intermittent short (voltage dependent).
The CDI can be intermittently faulty.
The spark plug may be damaged or too dirty and needing replacement.
Make sure the plug gap does not exceed .025" because more gap requires more voltage to create a spark.

it probably won't help much to mention that these motors are simple & the problem will always be found to also be a simple fix, because it can be very frustrating when one isn't familiar with them

in the case of the master link, it may be that the motor isn't tight on the frame

in the original case, an air leak could still be it

if someone is in the area that is more familiar with these, then I'd say to let them see it & probably they'll see the problem right away

Back