Power up with Nitro Fuel

Status
Not open for further replies.
From what I have heard, you can not mix Notromethane with regular gas. It will stay together and poof your motor when the glob hits the piston. I do know that Klotz has a product called Nitroboost. It is made of Nitropropane and does mix with gas. If you jet it richer you will notice a surprizing diference. I used to run it in my worked over 91 Sportster and it would pull the front end up about a foot and a half off the ground in 3rd gear where as on regular gas it would not lift it at all. I also ran it in my two drag snowmobiles and it made a noticable difference in them. My son and I richened up the settings on his 2 wheel scooter that was piped etc. and it would come real close to pulling the front wheel up when it got on the pipe.

Ummm...have you all looked at the price of Nitro fuel???

I use 30% Heli fuel for just about everything - NITRO ACTUALLY COOLS THE MOTOR - and you're talking over $20/gallon easily. 15% goes for around $17-18/gallon.

Second - this is GLOW FUEL. A glow plug is not like a spark plug. The element is "heated" to red-hot from an external 1.5v source, and then simply stays hot from the motor...so there is absolutely no electronic shut off.

Third - and most importantly - these aluminum motors are not engineered for double the power of gasoline...you're going to stress everything, and will find yourself replacing connecting rods and pistons quite frequently.

My opinion: if you want to go faster, or have better PERFORMANCE, buy a motorcycle or scoot.

The Chinese aluminum, no QC motor is what it is, and that's alls that it is....ahhhhhh-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g
(from my pal Popeye!)

whatever

it is absolutely true that an octane higher than needed is a waste, harder to ignite, and only good for hi-comp apps. if a simple, safe and cheap additive to increase performance was available, dont you think we would know by now?

Yup, higher octane is only to prevent detonation on high compression motors. Think 11 to 1 and up.
Nitromethane does not suspsend in gas without some kind of suspender. It also makes very corrosive exhaust that is toxic when mixed with gasoline.
Nitromethane burns slower than gasoline and thats why you see flames coming out the exhaust in the top fuel cars. It also has much less energy to be released, i.e. top fuel cars use 8 times more nitro than you would gasoline and only net a 2.5 times power increase. At 20 bucks a gallon do you really want to be putting 8 gallons in for every gallon of gas to get a 2.5 time increase? Those top fuel dragsters burn 1 gallon of fuel a second. Spensive.
If I didnt mention it before its toxic.
If you want to run nitromethane it is suggested you switch from gasoline to methanol. Youll get much better results. I have 100 gallons of methanol already so if I get a wild hair Ill let you know how it goes.

Doing a little reading an another site and found some interesting info I thought I'd share here...(If there are any RC enthusiasts here willing to try this in one of our engines I'm sure everybody would be interested in hearing the results...Oh Yeah!)...The following came from Mopedarmy,,,,

Nitromethanol, also known as RC-car fuel is an alcohol based fuel that burns faster and hotter than gasoline. This increases the performance greatly.

But as most people know, alcohol dissolves oil. And oil is what keeps your 2-stroke going. Also the added heat can cause your piston to over expand and instantly seize. So you will need a good lead-replacer (The type that goes into old cars that run on leaded fuel) to insure a good heat-conduction of the piston and cylinder wall. Also you will need special nitromethane 2-stroke oil, so the oil doesn't dissolve.

Don't use more than 15% nitromethane, as it will surely kill your engine. Mix the oil and lead-replacer with the fuel in the right proportions, shake and take for example 850ml's of that mixture and add 150ml's of nitromethane. Start the engine on normal fuel and run it till it is completely warmed up. Then switch to the nitromethane mixture.

Beware: You can't kill your engine by stopping the ignition anymore, the nitromethane mixture is self-combustible under pressure. So make sure you can cut the fuel off at any time!

*** MY Question: I wonder why you have to start on regular gas then switch over?....Is it to more gradually heat the engine?...RC engines don't have to switch over....Hmmmm any guesses?

ive tried a similiar mix but found less performance the nitro fuel actually is less flamable than gasoline @15 percent and the tuning will be very hard to maintain optimum performance and is 20.00 a gallon but another alternative is camp fuel works excellent in low compression 2 stroke engines i use it in rc boats and 1/5 scale rc cars

Yup the nitro has about half the power output of gasoline. If you ran straight nitro your 1.1 hp would be about a .5. The reason nitro cars are so fast is because they can introduce 8 times more fuel into the cylinder than with gasoline because nitro has its own oxygen supply. Your carb is never going to allow you to put 8x more fuel into the cylinder.

Another user was running nitro and is now concerned of problems. Be vary wary of mixxing gas with nitro.
At 20 dollars a gallon you really dont want to be burning 8x more fuel for 2 and a half times more hp. Unless you are doing some sort of racing. The fuel continues to burn after it leaves the cylinder. I wonder if this could damage a 2 stroke.

hey even though this thread is pretty old, i have some nitro fuel for my 1:10 scale m3 gtr , it is nitro and oil already mixed, so yea ... but the thing is i dont have a motor on my bike yet =-(

You'll find that any fuel can be run in any engine, so long as the fuel receives the correct conditions for it to burn.

In the real world, higher octane fuel in a standard engine will not make more power, though it will maintain more even combustion chamber pressure throughout the power stroke; giving slightly higher low and mid-range torque.
Typically the engine will also operate more smoothly.

My preferred fuel option is 98 octane but since i use 20:1 the octane number is reduced due to the higher oil/fuel ratio as compared to 35:1 or 50:1

If you wanted to run Nitromethane, my advise would be to run a twin carburettor setup, with one carburettor run with conventional fuel/oil premix and the second carburettor run with delayed throttle opening in a linked setup; running a seperate nitro/alcohol mixture and jetted accordingly, together with oil injection so the overall air/fuel ratio and fuel/oil ratio is correct at wide open throttle.
Some of the Dellorto carburettors have an oil injection port that would support this goal.

Fabian

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back