How much does your bike weigh?

I don't want my MBs to look like a motorcycle, I want them to look like a bicycle, under the radar, and retain as much of that pure, sweet functionality that only a good bike can offer.

My buddy and partner in the bikes only likes the old school boardtrack racers and choppers I've built. (see pics below)

Me I want a bike I can pedal and a wee little motor that will help me do this in the mountains. I want people to ride bicycles but where I live you need assist. Different strokes...

Attachments

• HPIM4025.JPG
    HPIM4025.JPG
    226.3 KB · Views: 275
  • scruiser-truck2.jpg
    scruiser-truck2.jpg
    152.6 KB · Views: 345
  • newsscansm2.jpg
    newsscansm2.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 241
My Whizzer (with all the accessories) is around 105 pounds.
My '46 Columbia with 48cc GruBee is nearly 75 pounds, while my '80 Western Flyer with 48cc GruBee is around 65 pounds.

A good thread and a subject that once addressed can set a lot of other things in motion concerning the building of a MB.

Doing a lot of work recently winter overhauling my bikes, both motorized and non, the thought occurs to me the real beauty and genious of a bicycle is the balance it achieves between weight and strength: just strong enough without being a liability to pedal. I hate to muck with that by adding excessive weight in motorizing. Make it much heavier and you cross over to moped/motorcycle and begin the process of needing to upgrade to heavier and heavier components.

You guys are making me feel real good. My gas/alternator e-bike is currently at 92#. And I thought it was grossly overweight (but unavoidable given the equipment on it).

One of my builds coming up will be a weed wacker roller drive on the tail of another bike. I have also begun to savor lightness. And variety is nice.
I fixed up a diamondback and it is real light (to me) no suspension though. I think if I had to carry a bike with a motor- that with the ww roller would be it.

31.5 lbs with a full tank of fuel.
of corse, mine is a little 20" schwinn with a 49 c.c. 2 stroke.

My old all steel Huffy weighs in at 62 lbs. No, it's not a pleasure making it up and down a flight of basement steps before and after cruising around. I gave up pedaling and only after a break-down I'll pedal home. I doubt most MB'ers pedal around much anyway. Why the heck
do you you think I put a motor on it anyway. Where do all of you store your bikes if you're like me and don't have a garage?
i

My bike is a madwagon beach cruiser with grubee 2st, a bag and 12v battery, lights, and under seat bag. It weighs 62lb fueled up. I lug it in my house every day and have to pull it up about 5 steps onto the deck. If I have to carry or lift it I use a rope and cut bicycle tube as a strap, or just lift it by the top tube or chainstay and under the head tube with crook of elbow.

I pedal it a lot to take off from lights or to quiet the motor (not loud at 20mph with pedalling). I pedal it with 2 chains into the housing area. ugh.
If i take the motor chain off the cog and zip tie it out of the way I can pedal 5-12mph for a long time on pretty flat ground. Beats walking or taking the city bus (no bus here!)

Back