Brakes Ditch those caliper brakes.

SF Hellwig, your shop may have been accurate, if the brakes you saw were old-style, or your frame doesn't have clearance between the bosses (some XC and cyclocross frames might not). Your shop sucks because they did not see what bike you have and show you the matching compatible brake set and gauge your interest. This is no insult from me to you. I've had shops tell me lots of silly things in order to dismiss me or sell me something they had in stock instead of my request. I either ignore them or go somewhere else (like online, where more info can be found readily and for free).

I think a lot of trials bikes that came with Magura hydraulic rim brakes, used the 4 bolt dedicated mounting system.

Here is an example of an adapter, for the old style frame/fork, to take v-brakes (or the new style Maguras)

http://www.tartybikes.co.uk/product.php?product_id=10560&category_id=5
200_onza4dapt.jpg
http://www.tartybikes.co.uk/images/custom/brakes/200_onza4dapt.jpg

I'm quite interested in them now for mountain biking because I really like v-brakes, and think I can probably buy some of this style brakes in the future as used parts.

Last edited:
Ok, now I am understanding what has been told to you.

Please see the picture of the magura brake above. The brake arch does not work with standard v-brakes. They told you the truth.

You can buy horseshoe-type v-brake boosters for $20 or even make your own if you have the tools and time. Most are aluminum alloy. They are not light weight though because of the intended purpose (to cure a flexing frame).

Photo old DKG brake booster.
244111772_8fiTd-XL.jpg

http://patineto.smugmug.com/photos/244111772_8fiTd-XL.jpg

A company called Salsa makes one too, available in either metal or carbon fiber construction. There are probably generic ones available too, try checking around electric bicycle sites.

But there's a reason why they have stayed in technical MTB and trials, they require they're own boss position. Unless they changed that in the last several years. Maguras aren't just something you change your mind to and put them on. Awesome yes but they and a corresponding frame must be chosen from the beginning. If that's not true then the guy at the LBS pushed me away from buying a Magura brake stabilizer brace because he told me it wouldn't fit my canti/V mounts.

Well, I have been brought to the modern world. The Maguras I was thinking of were the older 4-bolt. I did not realize they had updated and adapted so well (I told you my knowledge was aged). I believe the brace was for the 4-bolt system. I saw it on the wall with a cheap price tag. I asked and was told it wouldn't fit. I then inquired about getting one that would and he basically dismissed it as "they don't really make those anymore because bike manufacturers are making frames good enough to not need them." Never mind I told him it was for a 94' Cannondale MB frame and I don't really see any change in frame design that would make seat stays any stronger than what I have. Oh well, his loss. I try to come in and buy off his shelf. He basically operates as "I'll order what you want." That's why I don't go back often, if ever again. I get this feeling like I don't spend enough money because I know he recognizes me. I always end up asking a bunch of educated questions, none of which he can resolve. I leave with the cheapest useful part I can find.

Now enough of my mis-knowledge. Back to the original subject.

Edit: I think this is the one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...fef07ca&itemid=230430214342&ff4=263602_304652

Strip the URL tags and you will see what I am talking about. Didn't need it anyway. No loss.

Last edited:
Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
I got my v-brake kit installed last week. It works great! I am thinking about putting it on the back of the fork, but it works fine like this. I think my frame/fork combo has enough clearance, but so far it is not shuddering or squealing, and I can lift the rear wheel with 1 finger grasp on it.
picture.php

Back