Generator idea.

ok so from what i understand we can spin a dcv motor and it will put out power

so the big question is

What motor do I get to get 12v 100watt output and what rpm's will it need?

Last edited:
http://www.econvergence.net/electroacc.htm

I just ran across this it may be useful.

And you can buy just the gererator part.

Here is another VERY useful site.

http://www.greeleynet.com/~cmorrison/generator-building.html

I think it has even answered my wuestion from my last post.

So I think that I am looking to get a 12 volt 10-12 amp dc motor and spinning it at the rpm the manufactuar says is is capable of to get the 100 watts I am looking for.

Correct me if I am wrong.

Does anyone know where I can get a Motor like this?

And does anyone know an electrition who can join in on the conversation?

Last edited:
If you replace the diodes with higher PIV units you can get lots of power,something like at least 5 kW at 100V.The older alternators usually have better diodes.With a variable frequency 3 phase ac source you could make a dandy synchronous motor out of one.Most car units have at least a 50A capacity and are good for 700W plus at 14 V or around 1200W at 24V and 1,8kW at 36V.So something of an overkill.
As far as using dc motors as generators it should be noted that, depending on the efficiency of the unit the output voltage (for the same current and speed) is only 60-70% of the original motor rating.To get the original voltage& current the speed has to be increased to 1/0,6= 1.6 or 1/0.7= 1.4 the original speed.This is based on a efficiency of 80% as a motor. For instance a permanent magnet dc motor running at 24V,20A,3000rpm with 80% eff. will as a generator put out 19.2V at 3000rpm no load ,and when supplying 20A ,the output would drop to 14.4 V.To supply 24V ,the speed would have to be increased to (24/14.4)x 3000= 5000 rpm and the nl voltage becomes 29V
So either the speed has to be increased and lower output ,or a combination of the two has to be acepted, when using a motor as a generator and a lot obviously depends on it's efficiency or rather the lack of it.

Guidelines for using dc perm.magnet motor as a 12 V, 100W generator
Power output rating,For 100 W output at 12V:
If motor voltage 12-15 V ,power rating should be 130W output (about 0.2 hp) or higher.If voltage from 15-25 V ,power rating reqd: (V/15)x130 (V is motor voltage)
Motor speed:
If nominal motor speed at voltage 'V' and 130 W output is called Snom then the required speed can be computed from Sgen= (15/V)xSnom
These numbers are based on a motor efficiency of 75-80 %.Note that the motor speed is not mentioned explicitly,the speed affects motor size and to some extent the efficiency.Note also that these are 'rules of the thumb',thus must be considered guidelines.If the motor power rating is lower/higher the generator output needs to be proportionally reduced/raised.

Last edited by a moderator:
Helpful info duivendyk.

I must say you have confused me a bit as well.
I understand that you are saying that I would need a 12-15 volt 130 watt rating or higher. Or I could even use a 24v 210 watt motor as well, I think that is what you are saying.

But your equation on how to figure the rpm I need to spin it at has left me a bit confused. If you could help me out with that a little more that would be really cool.
thanks

OK,you are right,it is a bit confusing I should have said required MINIMUM speed,sorry about that .Take your 24V motor running at say 3000 rpm.you need around: 15/24x 3000=1875 rpm or more.Remember these are reasonable, but conservative estimates.Be advised that the motor power numbers are based on the OUTPUT power,not the input power!.It is sometimes unclear just what is being referred to.If it is clear that the input power is stated (rather meaningless really) ,then these figures need to be upped by 25%.

duivendyk is there a particular or specific motor that you'd suggest for his type of application? I'm liking the idea of a small motor being used to maybe charge an on-board SLA battery?

You could charge a 6V battery with a 12V car dc motor,such as a radiator fan motor or an ac blower motor.Probably too much to hope for charging 12V batt with.Would take at least twice the normal rpm.These motors are good for a couple of amps at least.They are not likely to be efficient though and the bearings are questionable (not designed to take sideways loading).Probably need series resistor or 317 type regulator to limit output if driven from variable speed source (output proportional the rpm).Could be found in junk yards.

ok so are you saying that if i get a motor with an output rating of 24volt 210 watt and spin it at 1875 rpm that should be capable of putting out 12-15 volts 100-150 watts?
Or am I way off.

Yes,if the motor had a 3000 rpm speed at 24V.If not pro rate.This assumes an efficiency of 80%,which may be a bit on the optimistic side.The power ratings are pretty solid the generator speed less so but that is not all that important I would think

Back