Ok...who's Been Into My Engine?

Hal the Elder

Local time
8:29 PM
Today I completed the 100 mile break-in on Oscar and drained the oil, then pulled off the side plate to advance the cam gear one tooth, and this is what I found: (See picture)

THE CAM GEAR HAS ALREADY BEEN ADVANCED!

I bought this Whizzer as a NEW, unsold 2005 NE-5 with 0.7 miles on the odometer. I'm the FIRST OWNER of this machine, so what's goin' on?

HAL

Attachments

• IMG_1151.JPG
    IMG_1151.JPG
    67.6 KB · Views: 454
Last edited:
Those are marks from the cam gear rubbing the crank counterweights. It is common on the NE5 engines because they don't have shims to keep the crankshaft centered. Mine has those marks too. The crankshaft is moving in and out a little bit. Change your oil regularly and you will be fine.

Jim

That's Not What I'm Talking About!

Look at the indexing marks on the camshaft gear and crankshaft gear.

It has ALREADY BEEN ADVANCED!

HAL

The original dealer must have done that. It is recommended in the service manual to be done at some point. I thought you were referring to the cam teeth scratches on the crank. Sorry.

Jim

Hi Hal, Most of the later NE motors had the camshaft advanced one tooth from the vendor. You can take the camshaft out and smooth the rough edges on the camshaft gear to stop the swirl pattern on the crankshaft throws. You can also use spacers to stop the crankshaft from moving left & right [vintage Whizzer motors used them].

If I were you [which I am not]I would buy a set of mushroom lifters from one of the vendors on this site [I know they will have them in stock soon, as I will be shipping hundreds of sets out in a few days].

Have fun,

Hey Quenton:

Since you're the EZ Motorbike Company, can't I just order the Mushroom lifters from you?

My checking account will be fatter after 1-1-09, because that's when my Pension check will be deposited, so I can send you the $60 after then.

How do I go about getting a replacement Hi-Flow insert? Who do I ship the busted one to?

HAL

Hi Hal, Our company policy at EZ Motorbike protects our dealer network. I will sell you the lifters when you are ready, but the local dealer will receive the commission on the part.
As far as the warranty on the muffler insert, contact the dealer and he will make the arrangements to replace the insert under warranty.

Have fun,

Hey Quenton:

As I've stated on the Forum yesterday (On the "What's This 45 MPH Talk?" thread), I bought my Whizzer from a Used Car dealer who occasionally sells a Whizzer on the side, and stocks no Whizzer parts.

The only thing I can think of to do is to ship the broken Hi-Flow to Mike, but I'll call him first.

HAL

Last edited:
Back