Please Help. Rear Engine Is Stumbling.

is that pump internally regulated for pressure, or do you have an inline adjustable regulator ?

when i was running dual Delorto 2 barrel carbs on VW's with electric pumps we had to cut down the pressure to avoid a forced flooding situation.

steve

Had the same thing trying to run a holley blue pump without a regulator. I have no idea what PSI these carbs could take, I doubt even 5, but I think he is just going to transfer fuel from the reserve tank to the engine tanks, not full time while moving.

Ed, you are correct.

Steve, the pump flows 4psi. HOWEVER, I'm gonna install a pushbutton switch to control its operation.

The electric fuel pump will only be turned on for a few seconds. That should be enough time to fill the engines' tanks.

Therefore, a fuel pressure regulator should not be needed for this situation.

Individual shutoff valves will control which tank gets filled.

I don't believe there will be any natural siphoning action, due to the pump being in series with the main fuel line.

The pump will not have power untill I decide to add more fuel to the engines' tanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's In!

Okay, I installed the pump.:geek:

It works fine, except a little loud.

Sounds like the frame being whacked by two sticks. I'm glad the pump will only be on for a few seconds every day.:cry:

This fuel (oil) starvation is potentally serious, esp with your 50:1 ratio.Go to 40,that would be safer.IMO.

JJ, with the pump installed, methinks my stumbling issues are a thing of the past.

Unsure if the siphoning effect works with fuel pump inline. I might just leave both fuel valves open while riding.

For example, what if I forget to fill the engines' tanks and one engine begins to stumble while riding?

I pull over and connect the 12v/1.2ah battery to the pump. If the rear engine had stumbled, I shut off the front engine fuel supply valve. After the pump fills the rear tank in a few seconds, I disconnect the battery, open the front supply valve and motor on.

All this is done with both engines idling.

If I permanently install the battery on the bike and one engine stumbles for lack of fuel at 35mph, I can push the "FILL" button for a few seconds. Both tanks are sufficiently filled while motoring down the highway without losing speed.

If it is safe enough to do so, I can reach for the shutoff valve, push the "FILL" button for a few seconds and motor on without losing speed.

Time will tell which technique works best.:geek:

You could pressurize the main tank with a hand bicycle pump.Could work if pressure not too high but might flood engines.Probably too risky.

Pressurized Tank?

Possible, but I REALLY like my idea!

Reminds me of back in 1964 when I had a V-8 engine in my 1951 Chevy sedan. I pull into the gas station; car had a rumpity-rump cam in it. The owner pops the hood and exclaims...

"Hey, you got a 12-volt battery in this car!"

Hey, I got a 12-volt battery ANNND an electric fuel pump on my bicycle!:giggle:

Met up with 5-7 this morning for a little breakfast converstaion this father's day. His system looks pretty cool! I also got a shot of his friction drive tensioner mod. :cool:

Attachments

• DSC08146.jpg
    DSC08146.jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 279
  • DSC08148.jpg
    DSC08148.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 284
  • DSC08149.jpg
    DSC08149.jpg
    157.2 KB · Views: 262
  • DSC08150.jpg
    DSC08150.jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 248
  • DSC08151.jpg
    DSC08151.jpg
    165.1 KB · Views: 252
Upon leaving Mcd's in Ewa Beach, my front engine quit at the third traffic light. Strange, because its tank had sufficient fuel.

I used the electric fuel pump and filled both engines' tanks anyway. The rear engine was still running; when I opened the shutoff valves, I could sense it run smoother, like it gave a sigh of relief.

This led me to believe that both engines STILL needed to vent THROUGH the fuel pump TOWARDS the keyhole in the Happy Time locking gas cap!

The keyhole is the vent hole for BOTH engines!:geek:

Then I realized that the front engine had died for lack of ventilation (I had plugged both engines tanks' vented caps to keep fuel from spilling).

Upon leaving Ed, I joined my sister's family at a restaurant near Pearl Harbor. My family wanted to pick me and the bike up. There was no reason to, because the restaurant was on the way home.

Next stop was Sears, where I ordered a roller tool chest for Father's Day. Happy Time reserve tank was bone dry; luckily I had carried a gallon container of gas. I filled the reserve tank and used the electric fuel pump to top off the engines' tanks.

My family followed me home and clocked me with the van. On the highway both of us were cruising at 35mph until "The Dragon Lady" began pulling away. Final cruising speed for van and bike was at 40mph.

My son stated that "The Dragon Lady" accelerated very strongly from the traffic lights.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back