Crashes A recent tragic motored bike accident

Sadly sometimes that's all it takes...a pothole, a low manhole cover or storm grate. I agree 100% a helmet is always a good idea. I wear knee and elbow pads as well. In my opinion a full face helmet is best, I've seen what a half helmet can miss when a rider goes face first into a curb. The accidents I've seen involved motorcycles and city traffic but not much difference in the end if we lose control. We had a rash of stolen storm sewer grates last year. Extremely dangerous as they are quite wide and you can't see the cover is gone until you're right on top of it. Apparently the thieves were selling them as scrap iron, it finally stopped when under cover officers went from salvage dealer to dealer trying to sell some of these grates. They found the owner who was buying them. I hope he got a lot of jail time!.

Not good. This happens all too often.

I wonder if he veered across the road due to a pothole, or due to a chain/tensioner related problem?

A number of members, including myself, have learned the hard way to always wear a helmet. Head injuries are no fun.

Helmets are probably more important when riding a motorized bicycle than with a motorcycle since MB riders are relegated to ride on the shoulder of the road which is full of debris, drainage grates, and other road hazards. Makes you kind of think that a small displacement (less than 250cc) motorcycle or scooter is a safer way to jet around town.

The newspaper responded to my inquiry

mweston@orovillemr.com" <mweston@orovillemr.com>
Add sender to Contacts
To:
mohdoggies@yahoo.com

The California Highway Patrol said the bike had those quick lock
wheels or whatever they are called. You can just push a lever and the
wheel pops off. For whatever reason the wheels just popped off. I
have had that happen a long time go when I had a 12-speed with those
locks. It was handy to change the tires, but if I hit a big bump, my
tire or tires would come off. It looked like an older bike, but the
CHP said it was a motorized mountain bike.I wouldn't think a montain
bike would have locks that would release the wheel that easily. He
was riding on pavement, but ere were some pt holes.
Mary Weston
---- Original Message ----
To: mweston@orovillemr.com
Subject: Re: motorised bicycle accident, inquiry from
motoredbikes.com readers
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 2010 11:05:41 -0700 (PDT)

>We have relayed this story on Motoredbikes.com, a community of people
>who ride motorised bicycles for recreation or transportation.
>
>We are trying to find out what caused the accident so we can share
>safety tips (of course we STRONGLY urge people to wear helmets!).
>Was the bike wrecked due to rider error, missing storm grates,
>bicycle malfunction or defect?
>
>We are pioneering a vehicle culture in USA so people can ride for fun
>or affordability and survival. I ride to work on a motorised bicycle,
>and I am starting a local club to promote the establishment of a
>motor bicycle community in my town (Greenville TX).
>
>http://www.motoredbikes.com/showpost.php?p=264136&postcount=1
>motored bicycle website prays for fallen cyclist
>
>
>

I rode dirtbikes casually for 2 years before I actually started wearing a helmet. I remember I was 16 and my mom asked me nicely, and I could tell it bothered her, so I went and got one. Ironically, couple weeks after that I was rolling/flipping down a hill (without the bike, it laid over and stayed put) and there was a metal T post that my helmet came in contact with. I remember seeing it coming, and throwing out my hands, trying to stop myself from hitting it to hard. My body never did hit it, but my head did. It would have probably went right threw my jaw. I got a little scratch, and was knocked out.

So ever since then, it was always helmet. It saved my face at least, I'm ugly enough as it is. I often wonder...would this have happened if I was actually wearing a helmet? HAHA just was ironic, start wearing it and something like that happens. No matter, better safe than sorry.

I agree when i was young to i never wore them and managed to keep my head clear of a few heavy accidents . Then one day while pulling a air of a local half pipe in my area on roller blades i stacked pretty hard came down and bumped my head just a tiny bump to the back of the head had me concused for a week nearly . So yeah best to be safe than sorry im grabin for the full face today cheers.

If you have Quick Release wheels:
1. DO make sure that you know how to properly adjust and tighten them
2. DO NOT file off the Lawyer Tabs just so you can change tires more quickly.
3. DO NOT use the levers to turn the skewers esp to tighten them. Use the finger nut to adjust, and the palm of your hand to push the lever down to tighten, where it is all the way flat against the fork or dropout, and cannot be snagged on clothing or debris.
4. DO inspect them every ride, or more often, making sure they are tight.

Back