Newbie MB'r wants to share awesome deal on Tanaka 33cc engines!

Hi Guys,

I have enjoyed reading all of the posts here and lurking for many months, I finally decided to pull the trigger on some GEBE kits and use the little Tanaka 33's. Here is what I lucked up on yesterday! Unbelievable deal! My two are on the way with UPS tracking numbers from Tennessee!

I bought two of them yesterday, Tanaka 33cc engines for $99.00 each shipped! I followed up with the Essex group and confirmed the deal! They got over 100 of them in an "Overstock" deal and are liquidating them. Here is the Amazon Link to the little motors that regularly go for over $300 !

Enjoy!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001PB3Y9C

Hi Guys,

I have enjoyed reading all of the posts here and lurking for many months, I finally decided to pull the trigger on some GEBE kits and use the little Tanaka 33's. Here is what I lucked up on yesterday! Unbelievable deal! My two are on the way with UPS tracking numbers from Tennessee!

I bought two of them yesterday, Tanaka 33cc engines for $99.00 each shipped! I followed up with the Essex group and confirmed the deal! They got over 100 of them in an "Overstock" deal and are liquidating them. Here is the Amazon Link to the little motors that regularly go for over $300 !

Enjoy!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001PB3Y9C

Hey Man,

Thanks again for sharing.

I just got my 2 today.

Looks new, no papers.

:)

Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Got my first one today, ordered two more since at this price you'd be crazy not to. These are definitely engines intended for a manufacturer. Came in a plain cardboard box packed in brown paper with no paperwork other than the :poop:CARB:poop: label. Clearly brand new

yMbnJl.jpg

0TxrIl.jpg

Al2Kdl.jpg

PjsZJl.jpg

t12Kkl.jpg

GO080l.jpg

Pdjx1l.jpg

e6kzWl.jpg

Crosshair84,
Let us know how she runs once you get it mounted up.
Not sure what I'm going to do with mine yet?
I got 4 engines & 3 MB's now...
Might have to set-up one of my bikes with dual engines :eek:
-Lowracer-

When I bought last week, it said only 7 left...

Just checked and NOW it has 17 left!

Possible he got another load in??? This guy has got a serious connection!!!!

1sensitiveman,
I'd like to ask for your impressions of the Tanaka 33cc engine. I'm compring it to my 4 stroke Subaru Robin EH035 also rated @ 1.6 hp.
What kind of performance, what kind of drive system did you hook it up to, what drive ratio are you running?
Mine Tanaka arrives on Monday & I'm still not sure what I'm going to do with i?...lol
It'll be my 4th engine & I have 3 MB's.
-Lowracer-

Hi Lowracer!

Well, let me give you a little of my "Experience" background, I am a long-time motorcyclist who has enjoyed both dirt and street riding for going on 40 years now . Half Pirate, Half Ninja :helmet: Ha Ha!

I had a 50cc Pit Bike so I sort-of knew what to expect out of the motorized bicycle.

After looking at all of the options when I saw the good deal on the Tanaka 33's I decided that the price of them would offset the GEBE kit enough to buy what folks here consider "One of the best" .

I had a very good experience with the kind lady who answered the phone at GEBE and had no problems whatsoever putting the whole thing together.

I had an old Raleigh Retro-glide in the basement that had been ridden less than 20 miles or my Specialized Crossroads Hybrid 700C. I went with the single speed Raleigh and added a pull brake to the front where there was none.

Fast forward 2 hours later, after a couple of "Shakedown" rides and adding a sick set of Ape hanger bars I was off like a mad wasp!

I rode it in to work this morning, about 5 miles one way and all over downtown New Haven Connecticut at lunch. I have never had so many "Thumbs-Up", people pointing and animatedly , obviously very amused by the sight of a large and old dude on a Pimpcycle :bowdown: I am now somewhat of a "God" to the 10-14 year old bicycle crowd in our neighborhood when they saw me on the Motored RRG :)

At work, everyone from the numerous "Construction Police" to Co-Workers and passers-by had a million questions about it, I tried to be a goodwill ambassador of MB's and explained all of the features and benefits vs. motorcycle or car for short-trip commuting and general el cheapo transportation. I did stencil in very small script "F^%& Pedaling" on the back of my multi-sport helmet, one must retain a sense of humor when riding one of these, I surmise...

"MB's are kind of like a fat lady, fun to ride... but you don't want to be seen in public on one...."

Without a doubt after seeing and installing the GEBE setup I could build the same setup, only more "Industrial" with not too much effort in my garage machine shop. I bought the 2nd engine to motorize my wife's little Trek MB next week.

I suspect she would become a little grouchy pedaling like a mad woman bringing up the rear eating a little 2-stroke smoke :cry: Ha ha!

I am 6'4" tall and weigh darn near 300lbs, so far the little Tanaka seems to lock up the clutch without slipping every time I have asked it to. I normally just pedal a couple of times to gain some momentum and then simply go WOT on the little motor.

I am still breaking it in so I try not to over task it or let it stay at WOT for very long without varying the RPM's. The motor starts 1st pull every time when warm and on the 3rd pull (2 with choke on, 1 with it off regardless of it firing or not).

I didn't like the fuel bottle in the normal location of inside the frame so this afternoon I drilled & tapped three holes (10-24) in the left hand side of the GEBE rear support to add a little cage that holds nearly a quart of "Reserve" fuel.

Mounted here, as low and close to the axle as possible is a "best practice" with two wheeled vehicles.

Here is a a photo of my little afternoon project.....

GEBE.jpg

Thanks to all the members who share their knowledge and experiences so willingly, Best regards,

Jerry

Yeah, I'm really sad I can't buy more. I got one for later, was planning on Dax'ing my cyclocross bike anyway. Still riding the Grubee cruiser. I have thought maybe I'll sell the complete running bike and buy another Dax for existing bike. The HT is still fun though! I think I'll just ride it till it's wasted and "retire" it for a winter beater.

My favorite thing about the friction drive or dax /staton chain drive is that you can run the fattest tires that will fit your frame! I wish I'd just gone with this kind first!

How are you guys dealing with the throttle on the $89 motor? Are you using something from the Dax/STaton/GEBE kit or did you just rig up a twist-throttle to it? Should be pretty easy, because most weeders and things use a cable throttle.

Back