4 Cycle VS 2 Cycle HEAD TO HEAD Testing

T

thatsdax

Well..I finally got my son to ride his 2 stroke and I jumped on the New 4 Stroke . Earlier today I installed a 36T to give my 4 stroke more top end. It has plenty of low end. So...We pulled out the bikes...Warmed them up...and ran head to head from a dead stop. 5 times we ran head to head for around 1/8 mile drags from a dead stop...Here are the results

The 2 stroke pulls harder and has more top speed. I figured the 4 stroke would win on top end...Because of the 36T. I was very surprised to see that the 2 stroke with the 44T still had me on top end. But...It was close on the top end.. Eventually we were about the same on top end but by then the 2 stroke was way up the road by then since it pulled harder. I guess I could have dropped my 4 stroke back down to a 44T..But..Then I would have been killed totally by the 2 stroke on the top.

So....In aggregate....The 2 stroke wins hands down in both pull and top end.. You just can not beat the 2 Stroke. Not with the NX50 Honda 4 stroke motor anyway... It is still a good runner though..If you can get over that dog gone Transmission clatter and whine under load.

good to hear dax, 2 stroke is a much better engine and design. 4 strokes still need a better design, and that won't happen for awhile..

yea but you got to love the sound of that 4 stoke, and it alot simpler to maintiane it

locoWelder said:
yea but you got to love the sound of that 4 stoke, and it alot simpler to maintiane it
?? Since when has a 4 stroke been easier to maintain than a 2 stroke.
A 4 stroke has more moving parts, 4 strokes need to have oil changes & Valve adjustments.

A 4-stroke also tends to be smoother than a 2-stroke, parts don't get shaken loose as much. IMO, a monthly valve adjustment and oil change would be easier to deal with than checking every nut and bolt on 2-stroke engine and bicycle every few days.

Heck, my derailleur almost fell off once during a ride :LOL:

Would Ebay #170108557636 allow for more power? That thing looks pretty tiny from the looks of it. I wonder if that might work? 4 stroke and that? I know the problem is getting enough exhaust to spool it up otherwise its just worthless.

i was pretty sure i'd seen a topic about this already, so i'll move this here as a "follow-up."

thatsdax said:
Well...My son got on his 2 Stroke and I jumped on my New 4 Stroke with a 36T for more speed. This 4 Stroke has the Torque to handle the smaller sprocket and I wanted more speed.... So..Here are the Results after 5 head to head runs...

The 2 stroke had more pull and more top speed, even thought my son was running 44T and I running a 36T. Still..The 2 stroke had more top end.. But..only a little. So..In aggregate...The 2 stroke wins hands down..Even though the 2 stroke wins..I still enjoy the 4 stroke except for the Screaming and Clattering Clutch whine that comes from the Trannie. I have to admit. That is what really gets me is that Dog gone Whine clatter and scream under load. You can not even hear the 4 stroke thump because of the trannie. If anyone comes up with a fix for this tranny scream and clatter ..Let me know..That is one of the things I enjoy about a 4 stroke is the sound....I love the sound of a thumper...But...With all the noise from the Auto Clutch and tranny setup...Well..I can not hear my motor and the really loud Whine and Clatter is embarrassing for sure. I can hear it echo off of the houses as I go by....You are not sneaking up on anyone with this loud tranny for sure... Anyway..That is the latest up date...Thanks...Enjoy the ride...

update

Added oil to the Res. to help quite down the whine and clatter. No joy. Only causes the Clutch to slip. Only added 1.5oz of oil. Still loud..and the clutch slips. Drained the oil . Clutch grabs again. So...Obviously a dry clutch setup with greased bearings. ok..so now I know...It is for sure a dry clutch. O well..I guess I will have to live with the clatter and whine..that is......Until I come up with an improved design.. Or someone else does.... Work continues ...................

4 stroke

I'm woundering if alittle tweeking would make the 4 stroke faster.The briggs motor I have has bigger valves,duel springs,higher lift cam,milled head,hotter coil,and a stepped exhaust to build power.Not to mention a custom intake,Tiltson carb,and fuel pump.It was originaly rated at 5 hp,but with some tunning.With the right fuel they can produce around 16 hp modestly.I've seen them dynoed up to 24 hp on methonal.
They do the same things to the overhead valve motors,and to both the Briggs,and Honda's. Most of the parts can be bought through Ebay pretty cheap too.I'm woundering if your 4 stroke motorplate can be adapted to alittle larger motor hehe :D :eek: NOT THAT BIG !!!!

Back