Honda GXH50 Governor Disconnection. Discussion & Pictures

I thought I might be able to provide some useful information about this subject by providing a series of photos showing the parts involved in this discussion.

The first three photos show the overall set-up of the various parts. The throttle lever the governor vane and the various springs and linkages.

The forth and fifth photos are close-ups of the linkage rod and spring between the vane and the butterfly valve on the carb.

The sixth-eighth photos are close-ups of the parts at the lower end of the engine. With photo #8 being a close-up of the attachment point of the vane to the shaft/control rod that runs into the lower crankcase.

As Houghmade said earlier to disconnect the governor you just remove all these parts the vane the throttle lever assembly and the linkage rod and two springs. If you feel the need to remove the control shaft into the crankcase you will have to split the crankcase and and thn plug the thru hole.

ocscully

Attachments

• govonor 008.jpg
    govonor 008.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 3,216
  • govonor 009.jpg
    govonor 009.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 2,105
  • govonor 010.jpg
    govonor 010.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 2,616
  • govonor 006.jpg
    govonor 006.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 1,924
  • govonor 005.jpg
    govonor 005.jpg
    128.4 KB · Views: 2,580
  • govonor 001.jpg
    govonor 001.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 1,720
  • govonor 002.jpg
    govonor 002.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 1,592
  • govonor 003.jpg
    govonor 003.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 1,702
Last edited:
@ocscully.
Thanks for the info and pics man,greatly appreciated.
So from what your saying it's not absolutely necessary to remove the control shaft and split the crankcase(then plug the hole).....if u remove the other parts that's enough for the governor NOT to work?

here's all the info there is on the titan at the moment: http://www.motoredbikes.com/showthread.php?t=8146

...boy, that honda on a titan rack would be pretty doggone solid.

we've "upped" the .pdf filesize limit, so if anyone has a gxh50 manual or diagrams to upload, we'd love to have 'em :)
i'd rather have the gearbox go directly to the wheel. Not to an axle, then to the wheel

@ocscully.
Thanks for the info and pics man,greatly appreciated.
So from what your saying it's not absolutely necessary to remove the control shaft and split the crankcase(then plug the hole).....if u remove the other parts that's enough for the governor NOT to work?

Yes thats what I'm saying. Houghmade may chime-in here but as I read what he has posted on this subject here and in other threads thats all he did.

You will also have to set up your throttle to work directly off the carb as Houghmade has done as well. But removing the parts mentioned will make the governor inopperable

scully

'kwox, your discussions are wandering all over...go to the titan topic to talk titan. check the "parts" area for staton parts info, or post a new topic about it in there.

let's keep this topic about the gxh50 please :)

ocscully: thank you for a most excellent post! :cool:

I've run my engine quite a bit with just the external parts of the governor removed without any problems. All the internal parts do is turn the control shaft so that when it is connected to the stock levers, it can work the throttle plate.

The stock "throttle" lever only controls the operation of the governor, not the throttle directly. With, the external parts removed, the shaft may still be turning, but it has no effect on the throttle plate, therefore rendering the governor null and void. Simply put, the control shaft doesn't know it's been disconnected, but it no longer controls the throttle plate, you do.

There is a topic elsewhere of how I built the throttle linkage to work on the throttle plate directly. I'm sure there are simpler, maybe better ways, but this worked for me.

http://www.motoredbikes.com/showthread.php?t=8313

PS....Thanks HoughMade for your additional info about the throttle linkage.....good stuff and better tooo much info than not enough.

Thanks xkwox...i've got the Owners Manual but your link is good for ppl that don't.I'm especially interested in getting the Workshop Manual,it's out on CD and it's much more comprehensive.
I'm STILL searching on how to disconnect the governor,but if i can't find a way i'll take the engine to a good Honda dealer that i know and pay $30.Don't really wanna do that cos i'de like to learn how to do it myself.
Fetor, I've ordered a Honda from a dealer here in NSW and for an extra $40 he will show me how to disconnect the governor so I can do them myself. It's $500 - $520 for the GXH 50 depending on whether I get the QU or the QXA model. Not sure which one is the one I want so have to look it up on the Honda website.

Back