~~~1 TiGhT MOdifiEd MonGoOse !!?!

Howdy Fellas.
Picked up a brand new Mongoose Sting for no other reason than the price was remarkably right and I was righteously bored.

It Looked perfect the other night when I picked it up but come morning(afternoon) the next day, the bike seemed to of shrunk while my head felt extremely swollen as if it were trying to make up the difference.

Did a few measurements, nursed my wounds, and came to the sad realization that by no stretch of the imagination would a Happytime fit in this frame .

Not a stock HT anyways.

Started by taking 1/2 an inch of the front motor mount and another 1/2 inch of the rear.

This allowed the engine to sit a little lower in the frame and without the air filter attached. the engine almost sat in the frame but the top of the carb was hittting the cross tube and the back of the carb only had 1/4 inch clearance from the seat tube.Heres how I gained a little space.
Will add more pics of the many mods as I get time.
Image009.jpgh
By using the round slotted plastic pieces from the inside of 2 stock airfilter assemblies with the actual filter itself sandwitched between them instead of using the stock filter housing,, I shaved another almost inch off the required space I needed.
Image011.jpg
Top of the carb was still hitting the cross tube though and there was no room for the throttle cable.
My solution was to drill the frame and run the throtttle cable right through instead of trying to make a 90 degree bend in itImage014.jpg
Image014.jpg

I mount all my coils behind the seat post these Copy of Image019.jpg. It not only keeps it better protected from the weather, it gets rid of the unruly dangling wires and makes for a nice clean looking install.Image015.jpg Copy of Image019.jpg

Heres what she looks like , 3 tanks of gas so far so she's pretty much broken in.

Image009.jpgImage011.jpg

Attachments

• Copy of Image001.jpg
    Copy of Image001.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 462
  • Copy of Image003.jpg
    Copy of Image003.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 495
  • Copy of Image015.jpg
    Copy of Image015.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 427
  • Copy of Image033.jpg
    Copy of Image033.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 421
  • Image034.jpg
    Image034.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 472
Last edited by a moderator:
I have seen some other really tight ones -- no extra room anywhere

you got that baby in there -- that's what counts
wasn't easy -- but it's in -- it does fit

have fun as you ride the motor bike thing

Haggard! You haven't been around. I love your creations and this one just shows yet another way a HT will fit.

BRAVO!

Mongoose

Hi Haggard:

Your post and pics helps me a great deal. This will be my first build since way back in the Whizzer days. I wore one of those out when I was a kid about 65 yrs. ago. I really this old Mongoose 26"er and I will probably have to incorporate some of your tricks to make it work.
Yours truly<>
Norm

Great job! Uno, I really hope that you don't need to take carb off anytime soon. Uno, to reseal intake? Do you think carb is getting enough air?

Back