1 to 3 pc crank conversion

I have looked at that kit to put a better crank on my old bike, but did not buy it. I have bought other Pyramid products, they are typically built strong but on the heavy side, which is the right kind of stuff for motored bikes. I have also bought from that company before with good results.

There aren't alot of choices available to you when it comes to this type of bottom bracket. Tioga used to make one and it was probably considered the best that was available at a reasonable cost. But I'm not sure weather or not they are still available, and if they are it would probably be twice as expensive and not all that much better than the Pyramid. The real top of the line conversion BB's were from companys like Cook Brothers and Crupi and used billet cups and pressed in sealed cartridge bearings. They were expensive back in the day and are what would be called Collectors prices when they show up on e-bay. As for fit? There shouldnt be any problems there The oversized American Cruiser/Bmx shell comes in only one size.

Here is a link to a sealed bearing conversion BB if you are interested http://www.danscomp.com/455021.php?cat=PARTS

ocscully

Last edited:
Has anyone used this converion kit ? Is it peice of cr** ? Ive got to dig into my bike a little. I dont know if those cups will fit seeing my frame is from the 1950's...Thanks

We sell both. They both have their pluses and minuses. The one you show is low cost (that's a good price if it's a triple, how much is their shipping? ) but the spindle is unique to that 3 pc. kit - so while it's converted, and seems to work fine, you are stuck for length for example....well they have single, double and triple sizes. Which one is that?

Our triple BB conversion kit

The other one just shows the adapter housing. $41 seems expensive for just the outer portion. We sell that AND the bearing set for under $30. This one allows you to use any standard square taper spindle:

Our true conversion set

I thought of couple more things. On the low cost BB conversion, the silly, but very necessary dust seals are very brittle. Especially when cold. They seem to be fine once installed but they get damaged in shipping very often.

Both require clean-up of your existing BB tube. Dremel tool helps a lot.

Back