100 km/liter diesel two seater

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by SimpleSimon, Mar 2, 2010.

1. SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon Active Member

VW has unveiled a one cylinder/one liter diesel city car, seating two in tandem, that weighs 290 kg (638 lbs) and gets 100 km/liter (248 mpg ) while being capable of cruising at freeway speeds.

It ain't pretty, but with those performance numbers, it doesn't need to be pretty. Better yet, per one article about it which I read, it is supposed to go into production in China within this year, and the projected retail sales price will be roughly $600 dollars.

Thats's right, SIX HUNDRED DOLLARS!

I don't know about anyone else, but I want one. NOW!

2. andyszyd

andyszyd Member

Where did you get 600 bucks figure?

Isn't it cost of it's production in CHINA ??

This thing looks too claustrofobic to me, but I,d buy $600 1 liter diesel motorcycle or scooter today.

Hold it, I'd buy four, 1 for me, 1 for my son 1 for my mother in law and 1 for my dog.

3. SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon Active Member

The $600 figure was in an article I ran into in one of my 'net chases - I follow links frequently, and it was one I ran across. Should have saved the link, but I was mostly looking for some specific information, so I scanned the story and moved on.

4. Dilly Bar Rob

Dilly Bar Rob Member

Cool car! Now that's the way to go....

$600? Would be nice but I don't think so... it's hard to put an engine on a bicycle and strap a tent to it for 600, let alone make a car :)

"Rumors put the price of the Volkswagen L1 at anywhere between "20,000 to 30,000 Euros (about $31,750 to $47,622)". But if oil prices keep climbing, that might be a bargain in 2010."

http://www.treehugger.com/files/2008/07/vw-282-mpg-1-one-liter-car-production-2010.php

http://www.motorauthority.com/blog/1023641_vw-1-liter-tandem-city-car-tipped-for-2010-production

5. srdavo

srdavo Active Member

I gotta agree... a carbon fiber bicycle costs more than that.