100% noob lol

qeldromadub

Local time
12:46 AM
Hey my name is John and I started building a motorized bike about a month ago. When I started all I had was a cresent wrench and a couple screw drivers. I moved around a lot the past few years and lost all my tools. Also I really have no mechanical experience other than oil change on a car and similar things. I was surprised at how much I learned as I was building it.

I just took it for it's first ride last night and today I took to to work (12 mile round trip) and it did great.

I'm sure I'm going to need to adjust things so I found this site in hopes of learning all I can as this or a pedal bike is my only option for the next few years

I've attached a pic of my bike (I call her Piglet)
IMG_20160311_182931.jpg

Your bike looks good! A few quick comments:

The motor chain is much too loose. Keep removing links and adjusting the tensioner until you get it right. That chain is prone to jumping off the rear sprocket and damaging your spokes.

Secure the exhaust. Do not let it dangle from the two 6mm screws. You have a good sense of style. Use it to find a way to get the frame to carry the weight.

The front fender looks good but it must be beefed up to make it safe for motorbiking. If that fender comes loose at speed, you will come to grief.

The positives are many. The frame is a great look. I like the 26" wheels. Saddle is killer! Looks like fun!

Yup! Timbone pointed out good stuff. That's pretty much what I was thinking.

I'd also carry your tools with you when commuting. Some spare nuts and bolts in a ziploc is not a bad idea, either. Since you'll be commuting to work you want to be prepared.

Here's the bad news: These bikes are temperamental. You can expect it to cause you headaches while you work your way through the learning curve. It's not really all that hard to learn. It simply takes a while for you to work your way through all of the snafus that can, and will, develop. You should keep back-up transportation on hand.

Here's the good news: Life is really, really good commuting to work on a bike like this. I do it almost year-round. And my commute is 12 miles, round trip, too. An excellent distance. Not too long and not too short.

Best of luck and have fun.

Yeah... The green box on my carrier has all my tools but no extra nuts n bolts ect.
Thanks
I've already felt a bit of that pain u mentioned so I'm keeping my mountain bike as a reserve and will continue to be physically ready for a bike commute as needed. I'm ordering spare parts for back up as well. And looking into better frames and such... Also why I joined the forum... To get ideas and such.
Thanks again :)

Hi. Looks good. like the color. These guys called it.
I had a front fender attatchment flange by forks break, but got lucky and caught it b4 eating pavement. Carefull can be dangerous.
I also lost a tool bag I had attached the way u do.
I had my chain tensioner come from top tube cause it slipped in to spokes when on bottom. A screw or bolt threw tensioner clamp threw frame tube also helps keep it from bending spokes.

Back