10KW E-PK Ripper EXTREME!!!

recumpence

Local time
9:59 AM
Hey guys,

Here is the latest project. I am down to wiring at this point.

The bike weighs 45 pounds and is pushing 14hp. :devilish:

Matt

Attachments

• almost1.jpg
    almost1.jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 1,145
  • bike1.jpg
    bike1.jpg
    152 KB · Views: 2,172
It is running two Astro 3210 motors (5,000 watts each). It has 48 Lipo cells for a total 48 volts 8.8 amp-hours. That pack is good for 12,000 watt output. With normal riding (20mph or so) it should be good for 15 miles between charges.

The controllers are Castle Creations HV110 RC controllers (one per motor).

The brakes are Hope Hydraulic 4 piston, floating rotor units. Phenomimal!

Rear rim is an aluminum double wall 44mm wide Nimbus unicycle item. The tires are also designed for unicycles. They are 2.1 inch wide rear, and a 1.95 inch wide front.

The rear hub is a Trial All brand Trails hub. It is hard finding hubs for this spacing with 36 holes and disc compatible.

The fork is an aluminum Echo brand trials fork. That fork was bought because it is light, strong, has a disc brake flange, and is a bit longer than a normal BMX fork. That length gives more clearance for the motors and a more relaxed head tube angle for better high speed stability.

The bike has 3 freewheels. It has one on the crank, one on the output sprocket, and one at the rear wheel. That allows motoring without pedalling, pedalling without the motor, or both together without any interaction.

I have about 50 hours fabrication time and around $3,000 invested in it.

Matt

beautiful work!!

looks ready to do some serious off-road crazy ch*it!! hehehe :devilish:
Electrics have soooo much more low-end torque.... your bike looks beefy enough to handle anything.

Xtreme- -Dirt-Jumps
:unsure:

what's the recharge time on those Lipos?

Recharge time depends on the charger type. My charger would take about 3 hours to fully recharge it. However, the cells will handle a 30 minute recharge with a more powerful charger.

With my other bike, I typically ride 5 miles, then recharge. That small recharge takes about an hour. By then I am itching to ride more.

Matt

recumpence!

Good to see you. AussieJester invited me over here and so he and I both post here pretty regularly as well as on another forum. I remember you were just starting the "Urban Assault" bike a while back and it's good to see you got it together. (before the "forum that will remain unnamed" forced us out)

Your bike looks impressive... I'd like to see more pictures of how you connected everything. Looks like a very complicated machine. (there are so many things going on it's hard to figure out what it's doing)

AussieJester is going to use the KISS principle and go with an Etek or Perm. It's the easy way to get power, but it comes with a 25 lb weight penalty. It looks like dual RC motors is the lightest weight way to get Perm-like power.

14 horsepower... wow.

-----------------------------------

Did you hear that I got to 58 mph on my Project #001 on flat land? Somehow I managed to squeeze the most performance possible from the cheapo Unite motors doing a rewind. I've been learning about how motor wiring effects behavior and found that you can improve on the generic setup pretty easily. My goals are more modest and I just want to get about 2-3 horsepower out of a 500 Watt Unite motor. (while keeping the voltage down to 48 volts)

Anyway... my projects are still continuing and I'm still learning new stuff all the time. (you seem to be still at it as well)

Last edited:
So at full throttle how long--I don't want to this to sound wrong because that is an incredible looking build -- but at 14 horsepower, how many seconds is the battery good for?

At 14hp, the pack would be drained in about 2 minutes. But, at 14hp, how long will the front wheel be on the ground?

Basically, I want this much power to do crazy snap-wheelies. That only requires small 1 or 2 second bursts. Most often the bike will be tooling around at 30mph drawing somewhere around 700 watts.

Safe, I will post some other pics and explanations soon.

Matt

I was going to say, or so, what? I suppose it is all in how you gear it but with that power to weight ratio it should outrun just about anything on the road, well except a radio that is:helmet:

Back