12,500 watt, twin RC motored, lipo trike video

Status
Not open for further replies.

recumpence

Local time
8:10 AM
He Guys,

Here is a video of my KMX Typhoon. It is running two Astro Flight 3220 brushless RC motors and two Castle Creations HV140 contorllers with a 48 volt (12S) 30ah lipo pack. The trike weighs 90 pounds and (on new pavement) runs 0 to 40mph in a touch over 3 seconds. In the video, the trike covers 100 feet and hits almost 40mph in that distance. Most of what you hear is tire spin. It spins the tire violently all the way up to speed. When the weather is hot, the tire smokes. :devilish:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvsylaPU7S8

Enjoy!

Matt

I know. I just set the camera on my car trunk. I need to take a better video. I was in a hurry when I took this one.

So, you are a member of the 50mph club. That is cool! I assume you are talking about 50mph e-bike. My trike is geared for 45mph. But, I have the power for MUCH more speed. I may be gearing it up soon anyway. So, I may join you up at 50. :)

Matt

Nah, I am gas powered shift kit. I cruise at 45+, and can peak in the lower 50's.

I dabble with electric mini bikes for my son, and might build a hub-motor bike in the future to mess with.

I made a little mount for my handle bars using and old reflector mount, 1/4" #20 rod, and a few nuts. Works great! Clamp that on you bike and get some action shots! :)

Ed

Very nice! Be careful with that much power!!

How many miles ya get with what much power and only 1440Ah? I would double your Ah hours if not triple it and you will have a sweeeet ride for several miles!

I get 50 miles of general cruising, some hard riding, some 20mph neighborhood cruising. If I mash on it all the time, I still get 20 miles. I can stretch it to 60 miles if I really nurse it.

Matt

wow... im going for a 24v system with 24Ah on only a 450 watt system... Think I can get 30 miles using it as a peddle assist? I could prolly add 2 more batteries and run it at 36ah, but from my calculations, I should be able to get pretty far on 24ah's... I dont know much about it other then the scooters which use a similar size motor say they go for 10-15miles on a single charge... and they only use 10Ah loads, without peddling.

You have to remember, I am running Lipo batteries. They are extremely efficient and light weight. RC motors are also very light and super efficient (in the 90%+ range).

If you are running SLA batteries and a brushed motor, your range and power will be drastically reduced.

Matt

At 12,500 watts that's about 16 hp which is about what you would get with an Etek motor.

I'm still having a hard time figuring where this type of machine fits into the larger perspective of things. 16 hp is no longer an electric bike (or trike) and really needs to be placed into the electric vehicle (car, trike, motorcycle) category.

It just would be easier if we could all focus on one standard for power. My choice is 1000 watts input so you get 750 watts output or a little better so that you sneak under the Federal Electric Bike (manufacturers) Law.

Recumpence...

You should try to convert a motorcycle to an emotorcycle using something like four RC motors. Then you would be doing something that makes some sense because then you are talking about 30+ hp which is impressive.

Try to beat the AC Induction motor (80 hp):

motor_ac_induction_curve.jpg

http://www.electricmotorsport.com/store/ems_ev_parts_motors_ac-induction.php

...maybe eight RC motors?

--------------------------------

If the game is:

"Who can build the best motor for 1000 watts?"

...then we are all playing the same game. Otherwise the game isn't clear and the lines get fuzzy. With the whole "Going Green" trend being now somewhat in doubt it's probably time to start to focus on some products that could actually have some future somehow.

I'd really like to see you do a RC motor build for a pure Road Racer like I'm building. Even if you go over the 1000 watt power limit I'd like to see what you come up with.

So maybe the next build could be a Road Racer?

Last edited:
I'm still having a hard time figuring where this type of machine fits into the larger perspective of things. 16 hp is no longer an electric bike (or trike) and really needs to be placed into the electric vehicle (car, trike, motorcycle) category.

It just would be easier if we could all focus on one standard for power. My choice is 1000 watts input so you get 750 watts output or a little better so that you sneak under the Federal Electric Bike (manufacturers) Law.

Try to beat the AC Induction motor (80 hp):

You are reading the wrong side, it is 18hp.

Wouldn't it be easy if we all had the same bike, the same needs, and the same wants for power? I love how you preach 1000w all day long to adhere to federal standards, but then you constantly push top speeds way above the federal standards. :whistle:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back