12-steppers: time to 'fess up. it's good for the soul :)

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by gone_fishin, Jul 25, 2007.

1. gone_fishin

gone_fishin Guest

in the past, i have:

cracked both cylinder skirts & broken 1 ring.

removed my sprocket-cassette incorrectly and watched lil tiny bearings scatter everywhere.

gone on a test ride and then discovered i forgot to re-connect my brake cables.

pedaled my butt off with the plug-wire disconnected.

2. srdavo

srdavo Active Member

I like to call em "Oops!"

where to start?

I'll see your cracked skirt and broken ring, & raise you 3 more broken rings & a broken chunk of skirt. :lol:

years ago, when I was putting Rusty back in service as a pedal bike, I packed & re-used the wornout 50 year old crankset bearings.
    these bearings failed the very next day. I was pulling a loaded trailer, about 2 miles away from home....thank goodness the push/ride home had a couple good downhills.

you sure this is good for me? cause I don't feel any better! :lol:
  3. azbill

azbill Active Member

I removed an engine sprocket without removing clutch pin first and wrecked a perfectly good engine (that azvinnie just paid 110$ to have 2 broken mount studs drilled and tapped :( )...fubared the clutch assembly
    I also drove 28 miles up, and then back down a mountain holding nice, flamed,and full (3.3 gal)gas tank with my knees because I forgot to tighten a bolt and it snapped from the weight of the fuel
  4. I spent 2 hours pedaling HARD in sub zero temperatures and nearly puked. The engine turned over but wouldn't kick in. I pushed the bike home uphill, 3 hours late for dinner with an upset wife.

there was a piece of something blocking the pin in my carb. all I had to do was knock it out and the engine turned over.
  5. grakker

grakker Guest

I left a friends house, after he was yelling to, "use your engine". I made it about 2 blocks (short blocks). Then my engine died. I would start it, and as long as I peddled, it seemed to be working, but if I let up it died. I couldn't figure out what was wrong. Kept doing the same thing over an over. Then I noticed bubbles coming up the fuel tube to the filter.

I had left the fuel valve closed. This was after some sweating and thinking about how I was miles away from home...
  6. Alaskavan

Alaskavan Guest

Here's something I found amusing. (Of course, if you know me, I find almost everything amusing) Anyway. My TLE 43 has always been a little tough to start in the morning. Often 10+ pulls. I just accepted that, it sorta made up for all the exercize I'm not getting pedaling:rolleyes:. Well, I pulled the cover off the aircleaner to blow dust out of the little foam ring the other day, and discovered that way back when I got this thing (about 800 miles ago), I'd put the cover on wrong, so it wouldn't seat right for the choke to work:shock:. Isn't that a hoot? This morning I wheeled the bike outside, pumped the bulb a couple 3 times, flipped the choke on, and she fired up first pull. Should we start a poll to determine just how big a fool I am?:grin:
  7. gone_fishin

gone_fishin Guest

so..no pedaling, now no extra pulls?

you're gonna get fat.
  8. Alaskavan

Alaskavan Guest

Thank god I'm one of those people born with high metabolism. I won't get fat. But the limbs might atrophy.
  9. Dockspa1

Dockspa1 Guest

Ya, embarasing moments. I just built my Kulana, took it for a short run and thought I would put it back on the work bench to check every nut etc, then I turned just in time to see my brand new baby falling and I coulden't get to it in time to catch it.
    Broke off 4 cooling fins along with some other stuff.
    Oh well, We live, we learn and we screw up again!
  10. az cra-z

az cra-z Guest

I forgot to put a rim strip on my new Staton wheel. Must have been a pretty good tube, because I went 7 miles at speed before the tire flattened!:-|
  11. Scottm

Scottm Guest

Ouch, that hurts Doc.

I was riding around the warehouses where I work. There were some guys working hauling trash. Everytime I passed them, this one kid would throw his arms in the air. I stopped to see what he wanted, but I couldn't hear him. Didn't have my kill switch on so I reached down to pull the blue wire to kill the motor so I could hear him.
    I jerked back so hard I snapped the bullet off the wire and had to pedal back to the shop. My head was fuzzy for about 5 minutes.

Just rode to the EZ mart to get a 12 pack. Pulled up at the front door and realized I had no bungee cords.
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 22, 2007
  12. beach cruzin

beach cruzin Guest

ya i think i still about every other day or so i forget to turn the fuel on get about 2 blocks well 1/2 mile we dont have blocks:grin:and she dies and im pedeling and cuss'n aahhhaa what now then i look down to see my duhness:lol::lol:
  13. gone_fishin

gone_fishin Guest

almost without fail...after i do anything to the spark plug or wire, i insist on pedaling without hooking the wire back up...will i ever learn? nope. gotta get my exercise somehow.
  14. spunout

spunout Member

:puke: ok, you hooked me in.

not turned gas on many times. plug or other wire disconnected a few times.

but the worst that caused damage was after painting it, i put the chain
    tensioner back on only finger-tight.
    when the clutch was released and power on, the whole assy bent, and fell into the wheel, breaking two spokes. i had an audience too, just to make it worse.
  15. Scottm

Scottm Guest

I hv a bad feeling I'll be posting here frequently. Confession is good for the soul. The brakes on my bike scream something awful, so today at work I sat down and took a good look again. I was going to remove each pad one by one and sand it to a taper since I can't toe it in right.
    I noticed for the first time that the pads are curved to alingn with the rim. ALL 4 of my pads were upside down. WTF? I could see me messing up one and may be two but all friggin 4?

I sanded and up righted each pad one by one.

Quiet as snow falling in the pines.
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 27, 2007
  16. minibiker

minibiker Guest

so far i have had a rear mount gas tank fall off 13 times loosing bolts and snapping mounts gone places 15 miles frome home go inside come out and saw my bike on its side no gas (thats always fun getting home NOT!!!) got a rock stuck in my engine i have no idea how it got there (3 weeks off the bike) had my pedal hit the wire zapping me numerous times running with out spark wire gas off wires switched lost a 12 volt battery broke a left chain resulting in no brakes drive chain breaking thankfully only a block from home 3 rear wheels and 15 tires lost bearings in 2 of the three wheels last one just didnt free wheel lost muffler i have used air hose for gas line and lost tanks of gas broke 5 throttle cables and 2 clutches 3 spark plugs i knocked the electrode out of one my dad said in his 35 years of wrenching he never seen that before & i plan jto keep riding till the whole thing just disintegrates
  17. RLK

RLK Guest

I don't think this counts as completetion of step five which is:

12 step programs are hard!
  18. Holy ****! but still yuou must be able to fix anything now with the knowledge you gained right?
  19. minibiker

minibiker Guest

oh man u have no idea, i am the king of road side repairs i have almost always been able to get home (a good tool kit helps) its always a pain to call someone and ask them to pick me up i only do that if i would have 2 pedal more than 2 miles it gets heavy pullin all that
  20. minibiker

minibiker Guest

i for got something i have lost 2 gascaps after forgetting to put them back on i only realized that when i hit big bumps and wonderd how my back was getting wet