150 miles in 2 days

Discussion in 'Travelling, Commuting & Safety' started by Simonator, Aug 11, 2008.

1. Simonator

Simonator Guest

Yep, I did it. I put on 150 miles between saturday evening and this evening (monday). I live in Grand Rapids, Michigan. I made a trip to Grand Haven, MI on saturday evening to visit My brother. He lives right by the lake shore of Lake Michigan. I rode around out there a little bit while I was there. Today I left my brothers, then I cruised Down to Holland, MI. When I got there, I went swimming in Lake Michigan for a few minutes. I couldn't stand being in for very long. The water temp was in the 50's (F). Then I came home. I had no problems at all. I made this trip on my Moondog with a 70cc Happy Time. It was a fun weekend! :smile:

2. waylow

waylow Member

congrats dude... I just posted a new thread in the Lets Ride! section, asking about folk's longest rides and conditions. I am interested in taking my bike on some long hauls. It is in the mail right now, and the engine gets ordered next week. I am excited. How long have you had yours together?
  3. Simonator

Simonator Guest

I built my current bike in March. The original 70cc engine I had on it only lasted about 2 months before the wrist pin bearing completely worn out. I blame it on a crappy seal between the air filter and the carb. It was snowing or raining all the time. Water and slush was always being sprayed up on the engine. When I removed the air filter from the carb, I noticed a bunch of dirt made it past the air filter. I put probably a couple thousand miles on the first engine. I didn't have an odometer at the time. I replaced the engine on June 1st. Between June 1st and now, I put about 2,200 miles on the motor. It is still running strong.
  4. waylow

waylow Member

I am glad that you got back on the horse, so to speak. once you got that power lust up in ya, a normal bike wouldn't do it for ya anymore, would it? haha :)
  5. SirJakesus

SirJakesus Guest

Nice to hear the HT is treating you well Simon. Keep it up with the long rides winter will be here before you know it :(
  6. Simonator

Simonator Guest

That is one reason I made the trip. I am trying to enjoy myself before winter. I won't be going very far from home in the winter. Winter sucks!
  7. softride

softride Member

Thats outstanding good bike building
    I am aimiing to do a commute tomorrow morning work is 25 miles each way but the Tanaka has a gallon through it now and i have seen just over 40 a couple times so we will see
  8. ozzyu812

ozzyu812 Member

That is very impressive!! I got my e-zip at about the same time and ride 12 mi./day to work and back and I only have about 1/3 of that.
    I want to add some sort or gasser to it for long trips.
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2008
  9. Simonator

Simonator Guest

2,223 miles to be exact (according to my odometer)
  10. kawasaki999

kawasaki999 Member

Waylow, here is some pics. garmin 200 gps.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 12, 2008
  11. ozzyu812

ozzyu812 Member

Why should a little snow stop ya? Its my ONLY way to work. I have to admit I hate the rain.
  12. waylow

waylow Member

haha :) I am right there with you!
  13. s_beaudry

s_beaudry Member

GPS system, extra fuel tank strapped to the frame, 150+ miles in one weekend!

Just one word for you...... RESPECT
  14. SirJakesus

SirJakesus Guest

Ozzy you better get some knobbies for that thing if you plan on riding it in the snow. I wouldn't trust those street tires at all when its real slippery out. And remember you have a lot of weight up top so on ice and snow that ezip could get real freaky in a rush.
  15. ozzyu812

ozzyu812 Member

Perfect Snow/Ice Tire

Thanks for your concern Jake.

As you know I'm recently motorized. I will share my experiences with snow, ice and tires.

Knobbies - When they hit freshly fallen snow,they become GIANT SNOWBALLS!:shock: When they hit ice, well its ICE! :( They are only good in the dirt.

Street tires/ near slicks- When they hit freshly fallen snow, they cut right through it!:shock:When they hit ice, well its ICE! They are good for pavement and surprisingly SNOW!:eek: When they hit ice, well its ICE! :(

Studded Knobbies ($$ haven't actually run them) - Would in all likelihood grab ice, but still would become snowballs. :(

The only real solution aside with being extremely cautious, would be an ice racing tire set up. That is, a slick sharpened bolts though slicks! :evil:Which I may do if I ever, ever, ever, get the time. SEE PIC:

Simon, sorry for goin' astray from your topic.:rolleyes:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 13, 2008
  16. ihatemybike

ihatemybike Member

17. waylow

waylow Member

18. Mountainman

Mountainman Active Member

Now - THAT SOUNDS LIKE FUN - just posted a thread under General - Riding MBs - Necessity or Therapy ? This typy of a long ride for me would be some - DARN GOOD THERAPY !!! Happy Riding from - Mountainman
  19. Simonator

Simonator Guest

Believe me it is. As long as you don't break down.
  20. SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon Active Member

For those of you that have to deal with ice/snow on the roads, but still must ride your bikes, there is an old, simple, cheap trick that works well. Buy rawhide lacing. Soak it overnight in water, fasten one end to a spoke, and wrap it tightly around your rim and tire in a spiral pattern, with a lace crossing a lace on the tire surface between each pair of spokes. Let it dry with the wheel suspended in air, then go riding.

Best homegrown ice/snow tires ever - almost as good as walnut shell recaps.