1908 Bike

Esteban

Local time
6:23 PM
A few pages I copied from a 1908 Sear & Roebuck catalog. For your information, $15, back then == about $435, today !!!

Attachments

• DSC01483.JPG
    DSC01483.JPG
    73 KB · Views: 497
  • DSC01482.JPG
    DSC01482.JPG
    73.3 KB · Views: 454
  • DSC01480.JPG
    DSC01480.JPG
    74.2 KB · Views: 452
I had never seen the RR attachment before and I grew up in a town with two rail lines passing through it.
I guess it wouldn't be too difficult to build one.

Interesting attachment but i can't imagine it working very well....also interesting if u meet a train.

I had never seen the RR attachment before and I grew up in a town with two rail lines passing through it.
I guess it wouldn't be too difficult to build one.

I got an e-mail from a fella named Chris, who either reads MB.com or caught my Youtube video.....

Anyway, he builds the RR attachment, he even has a webpage devoted to the idea.

http://www.sslifer.net/ongoing/railbike.html

What I thought interesting was IF you could make it detachable, where you put it on in the morning, make a 20 mile straight line shortcut run up the tracks, then stash it in the weeds until the return leg in the afternoon.

No need/opportunity out here, but you rust belters with lots of tracks, or Canadians in the wide open, might get good ideas.....

railbike.jpg

snipped from his website:

A quiet and humble underground of home-spun inventors have been experimenting with different ways to put a bicycle on an abandoned railroad for years, and I am merely an upstart with a lot to learn. Many elements of this project are in line with the same motivations behind much of my other work- that of blurring the lines between what is allowed and what is illicit in terms of property, borders, and land use.

I'll keep my riding on the roads. Even if a train didn't hit you, a fall on rails, large gravel, & cross-ties would be NASTY !

Back