1914 Excelsior

Discussion in 'Antique Motorized Bicycles' started by Zomby Builder, Feb 1, 2009.

1. I saw this on Flee Bay current bid is $17,000 What a beauty!

1914 Excellsior.jpg

2. Mountainman

Mountainman Active Member

that's one to dream about alright

how sweet it would be to -- ride that thing
  3. bikebum1975

bikebum1975 Member

I second that Mountainman I think I need to hit the lotto.
  4. Go find a little 250 Yamaha Varago motor and build one.
  5. JE

JE Guest

Awsome bike. I saw a all original Excelsior last summer on the Garage crawl the day before the Bike Swap meet in Kent Washington.
  6. HoughMade

HoughMade Guest

Believe it or not, I've thought about it. However, to get the proportions right, the transmission has to go. Can't have the transmission hanging off the back and fit in a classic fram like that. If Excelsior and Harley and Indian could do without one, I reckon I can too.
  7. bikebum1975

bikebum1975 Member

The Varago is a nice bike initself don't get me wrong but why would you want to ruin the vintage look of the Excelsior with a Japanese engine? I just don't get that. It's just me I guess
  8. HoughMade

HoughMade Guest

If you have a better idea for a built it from scratch yourself, I'd love to hear it.
  9. duivendyk

duivendyk Guest

That Excelsior was a 1000cc amateur racer, they sold for around $250.They won the National Amateur Championship a couple of times during that era,against Indian &Harley.Schwinn bought them out in 1911.Competition from the model T was beginning to crimp motor cycle sales.They were high quality machines with for instance pressure lubrication.
  10. uncle_punk13

uncle_punk13 Guest

I think they meant to scratch build a replica, not to replace the Excelsior's original engine...
    As far as japaneses engines- they can't be beat. Look up the spec.s for my (one year only) nighthawk 550- it's a sportbike engine in a cruiser frame. At100 I still had throttle left but backed off as it was too crazy fast, yet the handling at that speed was just perfect- no wobbles, shakes, vibrations. just the roar of the engine and the wind.
    Anyway that was off topic and I appologize. That excelsior is what the American greasy cycle boy's dreams are made of!:tt1:
  11. machiasmort

machiasmort Active Member

Anybody know if that was the first V bike motor? If not, what was?

RATRODER Guest

I don't know when first V twin was produced, but Indian built this one in 1908.

Attached Files:

13. duivendyk

duivendyk Guest

No,the first V engine was designed by Oscar Hedstrom in 1907 for Indian, a 35 degree twin, 633cc ,but still with atmospheric intake valves.Things moved fast, by 1908 they were doing 70mph
    By 1911 Oscar had come up with a 1000cc , 8 valve OHV racer!!
  14. JE

JE Guest

Check out wheelsthroughtime.com lot's of early boardtrack bikes and vidio on there.
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 3, 2009
  15. frameteam2003

frameteam2003 Member

I thnk Glenn Curtiss was bulding twinns by 1904
    Orient was building a V twinn by 1903
  16. duivendyk

duivendyk Guest

That is correct,he built a 50 degree twin,1000 cc. belt drive .
    in 1904 and was the first and last? to ever put a 4 liter air cooled
    V8 (40hp)on a 7 ' bike and pushed it to 136 mph at Ormond Beach FL in 1907.The engine was originally intended for an aircraft.
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 5, 2009
  17. Lynchberg?

Sorry I thought you were from Tennessee. Angelos secret is still safe here in my garage.
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 4, 2009
  18. echotraveler

echotraveler Member

wow dudes....those a crazy bikes!!!!even for todays standars.....dream bikes indeed!! they look so unique, hand designed parts!
  19. duivendyk

duivendyk Guest

Zomby,Lynchburg VA is not a JD town alas.Crawling with god fearing born-again BBC's.Never seen one on an MB yet.If they figured out that you could get to the Pearly Gates faster by riding one,things might change.
    Things moved very fast at that time in the motor cycle arena,before long you had hemi-heads & 4 valve/cyl!.The weak point was the lubrication system I think.Pressure lubrication was in it's infancy,which limited rpm&power.So they went for displacement ,which was easy to do.
  20. One of my Limey bike groups wore out this thread. I think it dates back to the very late 1800's, but production models around 1903 I think.