1920 Cycle car Briggs-Stratton

Discussion in 'Antique Motorized Bicycles' started by tomcatfranks, Aug 2, 2007.

1. tomcatfranks

tomcatfranks Guest

Oh, check this 1920 Briggs-Stratton Cyclecar I spied in a friend's auto show guide today; anybody seen one o' these babies before? Anybody up for making a replica?

Attached Files:

2. Tom Bartlett

Tom Bartlett New Member

Like you, I was intrigued when I discovered these cyclecars, so when I found a website (www.aosmith.com, I think) that had made available the original blueprints for the vehicle, I was determined to build a replica. I used the exact original dimensions, and used a bike motor to drive the 5th wheel. I did a lot of research and found that the original engine is the grandfather of all subsequent B&S small engines! If you google "Smith motorwheel" or "Briggs motorwheel" you will find a lot of information. I wrote two entries for Wikipedia on the motorwheel. I am attaching some photos of my replica.

Attached Files:

3. bamabikeguy

bamabikeguy Active Member

I'll tell you what, this settles the location of any "Autumn Leaves" Alabama MB.com meet, we're coming to Winston County and racing around on YOUR toys.

The Natural Bridge to Looney's Tavern race !!

Again, excellent detail !!
  4. HoughMade

HoughMade Guest

Hey! That's my other project. I love those things- I have a rebuilt old Briggs engine (not that old) and the plans...and a pile of parts, but the retro-board track racer comes first.
  5. Tom Bartlett

Tom Bartlett New Member

My otherproject is a retro-board track racer! What about some progress photos? Tom
  6. azbill

azbill Active Member

that car is just too cool for words!!!...
    very nice job !
  7. HoughMade

HoughMade Guest

Soon- very soon- I have parts on the way and when they get here, I'll take some mock up picks.
  8. Beautiful job on the buckboard Tom!!! I've always wanted to build one too.
  9. Sianelle

Sianelle Guest

10. az cra-z

az cra-z Guest

That IS a great pic! Thanks, Sianelle!
  11. Very cool vehicles! The original and the replica by Tom.
  12. Egor

Egor Guest

The Motorwheel used to show up at the Swap meets. I hadn't seen a cart with one till a few years ago, you don't see them any more. This is how thy mount on the bike. Have fun, Dave

Attached Files:

13. Sianelle

Sianelle Guest

Ah nice, - I haven't seen a picture of a Smith Motorwheel fitted to a bike before. Thanks for posting the picture link :grin:
  14. Egor

Egor Guest

It is cool to see one in motion. The bar going up to the seat is like a spring follower so that the wheel stays on the ground for turning, when you lean over it is compressed for a left turn and extends for a right turn. They are a beautiful thing to behold, but the last one I saw was expensive, I think 3,000. Have fun Dave

PS: There was a cart made with a Maytag Washing Machine motor, it also fetches a pretty penny. Google (Maytag racer) at auction one sold for 13,000, it was a 1936 model. You could make a replica and use one of the Happy time motors.
  15. gone_fishin

gone_fishin Guest

16. Sianelle

Sianelle Guest

17. JemmaUK

JemmaUK Guest

I love that cooling fan arrangement - can you say health and safety nightmare... I guess people were saner back then and wouldnt stick their hands in an engine bay with the motor running... I almost lost a finger that way once...

That was the time I learned that the fan on 1960s engines spins with the engine. Luckily I just lost some skin...

Jemma xx
  18. Sianelle

Sianelle Guest

I agree, I think folk were just more plain sensible in those heroic days of motoring and kept their fingers away from moving parts. My one accident with a cooling fan was not intentional, my hand slipped while I was adjusting the idle speed on an aged Austin I owned at the time and I received a very smart wack on the back of my hand. No broken skin, but the bruise went all kinds of interesting colours before it faded away.

RATRODER Guest

All this talk about the briggs cycle car, makes me want to git mine out for a spin. louis

Attached Files:

20. Sianelle

Sianelle Guest

Hey that's great. I really like the wheels. How well does it run? How ferst duzzit go Mister? :grin: