1920 Cycle car Briggs-Stratton

T

tomcatfranks

Oh, check this 1920 Briggs-Stratton Cyclecar I spied in a friend's auto show guide today; anybody seen one o' these babies before? Anybody up for making a replica?

Attachments

• 1920 briggs and stratton flyer.jpg
    1920 briggs and stratton flyer.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 4,071
tomcatfranks;
Like you, I was intrigued when I discovered these cyclecars, so when I found a website (www.aosmith.com, I think) that had made available the original blueprints for the vehicle, I was determined to build a replica. I used the exact original dimensions, and used a bike motor to drive the 5th wheel. I did a lot of research and found that the original engine is the grandfather of all subsequent B&S small engines! If you google "Smith motorwheel" or "Briggs motorwheel" you will find a lot of information. I wrote two entries for Wikipedia on the motorwheel. I am attaching some photos of my replica.
Tom

Attachments

• 3QtrView.jpg
    3QtrView.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 6,310
  • SideView.jpg
    SideView.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 6,904
  • Seats.jpg
    Seats.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 4,495
  • DriversView.jpg
    DriversView.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 3,113
Tom,

I'll tell you what, this settles the location of any "Autumn Leaves" Alabama MB.com meet, we're coming to Winston County and racing around on YOUR toys.

The Natural Bridge to Looney's Tavern race !!

Again, excellent detail !!

Hey! That's my other project. I love those things- I have a rebuilt old Briggs engine (not that old) and the plans...and a pile of parts, but the retro-board track racer comes first.

Beautiful job on the buckboard Tom!!! I've always wanted to build one too.

Back