1935 Cyc-Auto from England

I noticed that one of the pics. has "Scott" painted on the fuel tank.I seem to recall that there was a manufacturer by that name in the UK once,they made 2 cyl.watercooled 2 strokes I think and had reputation for quality.Maybe they made the engine unit.

With fuel costs & sustainability issues gaining strength I reckon we could see a ressurgence of bikes like these but with modern engines and all the other factors properly thought through in the design process. I don't think China will play much part in this except they might make the bike frames. The bikes will probably come out of Europe.

Mopeds used to be quite popular in Europe and still are among younger people,who need affordable transportation. With increasing prosperity people increasingly favored cars,although with the prevailing crowded road conditions, alternate modes of getting around often make more sense.The wet climate in Europe also was an important factor.In the fifties and sixties power assisted bicycles were quite popular,usually add-on friction drive designs,but the mopeds gradually took over,with increasing prosperity.From the eighties on a large section of the population could start affording cars and the number of two wheelers of all types dwindled,creating all sorts of traffic nightmares.The authorities are now atempting to lure people back on bicycles.In general distances in Europe are far shorter than in the US and the need to go faster (and use power assist) is less acute.So I'm not so sure that Europe is going to lead the way neccessarily.I do think that "greener" electric bikes are going to be popular there.All energy is expensive over there esp. hydrocarbons (10 $ per gallon for gas !)

Last edited by a moderator:
Unfortunately the law is too tight in europe, to use a motorized bicycle 100% legally you must register it as a vehicle, requiring it to pass some ridiculous test on safety, emmisions and the like. It is basically impossible for a home builder to pass one of these tests without a large amount of money being spent on it.

My favorite cyclemotor is the cyclemaster: http://www.vintagebike.co.uk/Bike Directories/Raleigh Bikes/pages/Raleigh-Cycle-Master-55.htm

BSA

wow - being turned on to that site - made my day.. Those are some cool old MBs.. I am getting back into riding -- so if this is a silly question -- sorry -- but -- are there any new MBs available now -- that look anything like these old bikes ? Happy Riding from - Mountainman

Not really, I like the roundhead happy times because they have an old fashioned apperence and they smoke like an old engine:cool:

BSA

That Raleigh looked pretty cool,I wonder about the cooling,no sign of a blower.Yes they have the super nanny state over in Europe,I don't know how bad things are in the UK. I was in Holland a year ago and found out that threeway electrical outlets of the plug-in variety had been outlawed by the meddlesome Nitwits in Brussels,you could not buy one anywhere any more.I found a couple in my junkpile and sent it to my brother,ridiculous!!

I noticed that one of the pics. has "Scott" painted on the fuel tank.I seem to recall that there was a manufacturer by that name in the UK once,they made 2 cyl.watercooled 2 strokes I think and had reputation for quality.Maybe they made the engine unit.

Yes the Cyc-Auto was the brand produced in close co-operation the Scott Motorcycle company of Shipley Yorks. UK, with a 98cc. engine, mag set across on the front ,inline crankshaft with a bevel drive. I had one when a lad in about1954 (needed registering and insurance even then in England)
Scotts were and are famous for their two cycle twin bikes and even won the Isle of Man Senior Tourist Trophy race with them. I still have a 1938 Scott "Flying Squirrel" which just "yowls" up the road....( 600 cc. water cooled).

If you want to learn more of Scott's just look on the "web" under Scott Owner's Club or a search.

Happy days in biking !!

The 600 cc Scott must have been quite a powerhouse in it's day and given the single bangers fits + leave your teeth in place.That elegant Cyc-Auto design ought to be resurrected,adequate torque with 98 cc,low CG and excellent economy of space,what more could you ask for really?

The 600 cc Scott must have been quite a powerhouse in it's day and given the single bangers fits + leave your teeth in place.That elegant Cyc-Auto design ought to be resurrected,adequate torque with 98 cc,low CG and excellent economy of space,what more could you ask for really?

Some of the large two stroke twins and triples would really fly - there was and maybe still is a 9 cylinder 750 for sale somewhere - cant remember off the top of my head made up of 3 x 250 triples :eek:

The Scott was one of the few autocycles that didnt use the Villiers... there was a bike designed that used a Levis engine and also a stillborn BSA using their own engine

If I had a HT engine and a some more tools a autocycle-esque design on the right bike is eminantly possible. Use the rear mount on the bottom tube of the bike frame and fab up a mount that connects from the frame to the 4 head bolts - then run a longer chain on tensioners to the sproket. Only thing youd need to make sure of is that the head etc clears the front wheel - a canister silencer would be your friend there...

Have a look at this site...

http://www.thebuzzingclub.co.uk/archive/arcframe.htm

Jemma xx