1938 Shelby Airflow

Discussion in 'Antique Motorized Bicycles' started by JE, Jul 13, 2007.

1. JE

JE Guest

I'm thinking about using this frame for my next motorized bike project since I doen't have the rest of the bike and it would cost a small fortune to find all the parts to restore it.I think it would make a sweet start to a board tracker.[​IMG]

2. I could see a tank between those upper bars,and a springer fork.
    It would rule.

3. azbill

azbill Active Member

especially the old style springer rather than the schwinn style...it would be sweet !!!

4. JE

JE Guest

Yea i'm a painter at a metal fab shop and was thinking about building a tank and using a 40's monark springer on it

5. JE

JE Guest

Yea for a while I was thinking about using this one. It's a 1936 Hawthorn Duriliam.It's all aluminum and might crack if I motorized it so I decided to restore it.[​IMG]

6. gone_fishin

gone_fishin Guest

do i sense another thrash-session on the horizon for the PNW-Riders? :evil:

i can already "see" it finished, JE, & it looks great :D 8)

7. JE

JE Guest

YEA Buddy....... :D

8. That's awesome how everything attached to it is rusted silly. That's a cool frame indeed.

9. iRide Customs

iRide Customs Member

Justin, that is one sweeeeet frame! I can see that screaming down the road with one of those Monarch reproduction forks and a nice little tank that would slip right in there. Brown grips and seat...mmmmm, tasty!!

10. Je's new bike?

Hi Je, nice classic frame! I agree about that aluminum frame, NO Engine!I have a Hairpin saddle (repop of the penny-farthing saddle) available that might look great on that. I'd run either red or white tires, do the tank, 36 tooth front sprocket (most early motorcycles had small people sprockets). I agree with the monark springer for it's style, but if you really want to ride it, I think I'd use a Shockmaster, the postwar version only! Cleveland Welding Company's springer absolutely rocks!
    You might be able to slip in a toolbox, or make a "filler" plate to go between the bobbed rear fender to drive away a little more of the "Bicycle" look? If you do a bobbed rear fender it is easy to make a drop-stand, i do them all the time, and we kick-start our whizzers on them.
    One of the main complaints I have about trying to make a repop of a vintage bike is all the kit stuff is so modern, and the engine is tiny, and uncomplicated. I like to add stuff that diverts from what came in that chinese box. I just made a brass muffler for my 08 prototype, it looks cool, sounds great, and I used a very special, sound deadening material inside that is very cheap, and easy to use (air).
    As long as that frame is sound, it looks VERY good.

Mike

11. JE

JE Guest

Yea Mike that's exactly the route I was thinking with the bobed rear fender kick stand and tank.Iwork in a metal fab shop as a painter and I think i've got it figured out how to make the tank in two pieces that can be welded together.Do you have a picture of that fork you could send me.

12. wavygravy

wavygravy Guest

the frames!

great old frames there je! and some pretty cool stuff there in the background!!

13. JE

JE Guest

Yea I've got a few oldies.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]