1948 Whizzer (newly acquired)

Discussion in 'Whizzer Motorized Bicycles' started by frizzy, Mar 16, 2011.

1. frizzy

frizzy Member

Hi everyone, This is my newly acquired 1948 Whizzer on a 48 schwinn excelsior frame. Pics are when I got it. It's presently under restoration. I've added a few pics of the final fitting of parts prior to being painted. I'm retired so I have time to work on it daily. More pics of the progress to follow. Thanks. Oh by the way the last picture is one I found and is what I what mine to look like when completed.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 16, 2011

2. KilroyCD

KilroyCD Active Member

It looks like your Whizzer is making nice progress. I see that you added a springer fork, and I'm glad you got a vintage Schwinn springer instead of the modern chrome knock-offs that can vary dramatically in quality. Did you have your handlebars rechromed or did you find a set of the bars made for the 1941 Columbia F9T Superb reissue? It looks like the crossbar is curved, and if it is it's identical to the set on my F9T Superb.

3. frizzy

frizzy Member

I purchased the vintage springer fork on ebay. It was sandblasted and primered and the chrome was good. ( I probaly paid too much, but like you said, it's a real vintage real schwinn springer fork). The handle bars are NOS vintage circa 1950 also from ebay. I liked the curve cross bar. The orig. ones had a straight crossbar. Most of the rest is all original. I love the orig. seat. Cleaned and polished (many hours on the buffing wheel), seat was recovered in tan, it came out great. Next will be off to the painters. I was going to spray it myself (have all the equiptment but no good place to spray or bake). I have a friend who does professional auto spraying and is giving me a great deal. More pictures to follow soon. Thanks

Last edited: Mar 17, 2011
  4. frizzy

frizzy Member

I'm back with the progress and more pictures. Today was sunny and 70 out, so I decieded to paint the whizzer myself. I do have very good spray equipment. So far I pleased of the outcome. Attached are some pictures of a cursory fitting. The fenders need to be pinstriped and are next to the bike. Thanks

Attached Files:

5. frizzy

frizzy Member

The latest pics. Almost finished.

Attached Files:

6. frizzy

frizzy Member

Well 95% complete. Here's some pics, taken today.

Attached Files:

7. frizzy

frizzy Member

OK, the Whizzer is finished. The final pictures. Thanks.

Attached Files:

8. Trix

Trix New Member

Luv it....nice work

9. frizzy

frizzy Member

A couple more pics. Finished getting the pinstripping.

Attached Files:

10. frizzy

frizzy Member

New picture

Attached Files:

11. MaxGlide

MaxGlide Member

Niiiiiccceeee!!!!

12. azbill

azbill Active Member

nice job !!!
    she's a beauty (^)

13. KilroyCD

KilroyCD Active Member

Very nice, that's a beautiful bike.

14. frizzy

frizzy Member

Thank you very much gentleman.

15. bluegoatwoods

bluegoatwoods Well-Known Member

Yup, it's a fine, fine looking machine.

Makes me wonder why anyone would even want a car.......

16. tintor

tintor New Member

light

I noticed that you did not install the light that was on the front finder!!! Is their a reason you did not use? If you still have would you like to sale

17. Very nice work!
    I especially like the subtle, not over the top pinstriping.
    Congratulations.