1951 24" Monarch Rocket Board Track Racer

Discussion in 'Photos & Bicycle Builds' started by Fast Shag, Dec 16, 2015.

1. Fast Shag

Fast Shag Member

I aquired this 1951 Monarch 24" Rocket for $40 on Craigslist the other day. I used a premix fuel can ya get at home depo, sanded it, tapped a petcock in, and it holds with no leaks. Just need to spray it down with salt water to get it to rust. I used strips of rubber to hold it against one side of frame. I might add another one on other side for looks.... There was no caliper hole for front brakes on the forks, so I welded a caliper bolt on nice and straight and it works great! To get the motor to fit I had to order a 25 tooth crank sprocket, and bend the front universal mount so it lined up with bottom tube. The engine is a 66cc china ported 2mm off sides of intake and exhaust, exhaust raised 2mm, piston ported on transfers, knifed transfers and widened, port matched, del clone carb w/ 71 jet, and will run a 32-36 tooth drive sprocket. It was pushing 42 mph with a 41 tooth on a 26" mountain bike. It should move this 24" pretty good. Let me know if you want pics of details....To be continued...
    PC140471.JPG PC160476.JPG PC150475.JPG

2. Fast Shag

Fast Shag Member

3. boneswood

boneswood New Member

If you have a welder I suggest adding about 6 inches to the back end. I did this on one of my bikes(added 8 inches) and I found it corners better. Cool lookin build!

4. Fast Shag

Fast Shag Member

I haven't had the chance to test ride it yet. I'm waiting on a solid, 8" custom layback seat i'm having made by Chop Shop Customs. I don't have a welder, but have resources. We'll see how it handles, but I I think you are right that the wheel base would be better a few inches longer. I've seen some bolt on rear wheel brackets that have been made, but not at 8". Thanks for the insight!

5. boneswood

boneswood New Member

Here's the bike I added 8'' to. I call her Molly. I took another frame, cut it apart, and used the back end to extend the chromoly frame. She's a truck.

Attached Files:

6. Fast Shag

Fast Shag Member

I got most of her put together; just waiting on custom layback seatpost! I had to grind both sides of cranks down bout 3/16 to get clearance of motor. Got about 1/8 on each side. Mounted a 3rd motor bracket for side to side play using clutch plate and seat tube. Had to fab a shortdog chain guide for frame clearance, shim rear tire for clearance, welded front brake calipers on, modded Bendix hub to accept 36 tooth sprocket and install a 25 tooth crank sprocket so the motor would fit. The exhaust is gutted, and the gas tank is vented and holds fuel! Almost ready to rip! PC230489.JPG