1st build, need help, lots

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Dadson, Jun 23, 2016.

1. Dadson

Dadson New Member

So right up front, I don't know what I'm doing. Chances are I'll ask questions that are elementary. I bought a repop schwinn panther straight bar frame, and a Springer fork. I'll be running a 2 stroke, most likely pk80. Now, what should I buy for wheels? I want good brakes. I already know I can't afford the sweet drum hub wheels. I'll attach pics of what I bought. Thanks in advance
    http://m.ebay.com/itm/Reproduction-...orized-26-Frame-only-/272245652542?nav=SEARCH
    http://m.ebay.com/itm/vintage-schwi...ire-26-springer-fork-/282054680479?nav=SEARCH

GhettoBike likes this.

2. Frankfort MB's

Frankfort MB's Well-Known Member

That build looks awesome!!! I'm guessing your going for a board track racer? And does that frame come with a gas tank?

Here's a good place for wheels

http://www.custommotoredbicycles.com/home_custom_motored_bicycles

They might be a tad high but it's not very often that a bicycle shop carries such a heavy duty wheel.... I've went into a bike shop and asked for 11 or 12 guage spokes and he said that it was a special order because the thickest guage he'd seen on a bicycle was 13, I call BS on that since a lot of coaster brake bikes these days have 12 gauge but I had to have those spokes and I didn't know what to order:)

GhettoBike and Dadson like this.
  3. Dadson

Dadson New Member

Yes, definitely going for the old style board track. I did buy the stainless tank(separately). Any advice on brakes?

4. bakaneko

bakaneko Active Member

Since you seem to be going the extra mile with this build, I highly suggest you get a hub adapter for the wheel you finally decide upon. Actually, rather look for the hub adapter hub size and then find a nice set of wheels with that hub size.

Lynn from custommotoredbicycles.com is great too, btw.

GhettoBike and Dadson like this.
  5. Dadson

Dadson New Member

Here comes the lack of knowledge question. Why is a hub adapter needed?

6. bakaneko

bakaneko Active Member

The hub adapter does two things first it bears the torque load from your engine more evenly over the wheel and second it is so much easier to install. Your engine kit will most likely come with the pineapple rag joint mounting assembly pictured on the right. This assembly is a hassle to put on correctly and to true (perfect spin with no wobble) and I feel applies a lot of force on the spokes on one side of the wheel potentially deforming the spokes and causing your wheel to wobble and damaging the bearings.

The hub adapter pictured on the left grabs the hub of the wheel and the torque force is evenly distributed to the spokes on both sides of the wheel. Plus, if you ever want to change your rear sprocket (for more acceleration, more top speed) it is a lot easier to do. There is just more precision with these hub adapters that unless you are a true craftsman I just don't think you can get with the pineapple rag joint assembly. The hub adapters don't cost much ~20 to 30 and are well worth it for a nice build.

Attached Files:

Dadson likes this.
  7. Frankfort MB's

Can you give me a link to a hub adapter for 30$?

Dadson likes this.
  8. Dadson

Dadson New Member

What about using a disc brake hub, and putting the sprocket where the disc bolts?

9. Frankfort MB's

I've seen that done before, I haven't thought about trying it though

10. Dadson

Dadson New Member

I wish they made a sprotor set up like they do for choppers. Basically a sprocket that's a brake rotor all in one. I was told there is some way to stack a brake disc and motor sprocket, but I don't understand how

11. bakaneko

bakaneko Active Member

Yeah, you can get hub adapter for 20-30 but that is without the sprocket. I guess he will need the sprocket unless he can drill holes in the provided sprocket. There are sprockets for disc brakes and I believe you need an adapter for the disc brake itself - special disc brake type sprocket adapter and possible an additional bracket. I am not entirely sure but it looks like it can be done.

Attached Files:

Dadson likes this.
  12. David Bogle

David Bogle Member

Be sure to measure twice and buy once, as great as a hub adapter is( gives you great adjustability with chain tracking and is certainly easier to install) but is far from cheap but worth it.

13. JunkyardDog

JunkyardDog Active Member

You definitely don't want to use the rag joint style sprocket. It's worth whatever you have to do to get around it. The other major problem, and this one is actually dangerous, is DO NOT use the frame mounted clamp on chain tensioner. Those things seem specifically designed to be sucked into the rear wheel. I found out the hard way. I have seen tensioners on eBay that attach to the engine, like this. http://www.ebay.com/itm/49-66-80cc-...hash=item2a3020ccd1:m:m-b3lt30KT8w_ql7lB4QDvw It is worth every penny.

Dadson likes this.
  14. David Bogle

David Bogle Member

I make my own in that style IMG_20160327_194616.jpg IMG_20160403_093106.jpg

15. skyash

skyash Active Member

Tensioner Basic brains if you do it up and can move it by hand no good if you're chain pulls so hard on it it movein no good

Attached Files:

16. skyash

skyash Active Member

4 stroke same setup

17. skyash

skyash Active Member

A self adjusting tensioner is best

Attached Files:

18. Dadson

Dadson New Member

How about wheels guys? What should I buy?

19. JunkyardDog

JunkyardDog Active Member

The issue with that setup, other than the way it looks, is that if it is still using the wheel that came in the kit, it needs a MUCH better one, made out of super strong material and with motorcycle grade bearings. I have seen skateboard wheels used for rollers, and they should work. But for $35, I don't see the sense in rigging something even if it does work. That is only a tiny fraction of a good build. Seems like many motorized bike builders seem stuck on being cheap. I mean SUPER cheap, as in how can they save a couple of bucks. They look for the cheapest engine kits and use Walmart bikes. A well built motorized bike is still cheap, and for a little bit more than the absolute cheapest thing you can find, you can build a bike that not only won't fall apart on you, but won't get you killed either. If you are willing to pay for a proper rear sprocket mount, I don't see the issue with spending $35 on a proper tensioner. Those two things are the major weak points on all Chinese engine kits.

20. David Bogle

David Bogle Member

What irritates me is when people think that throwing money at something makes it better, if you've ever priced skateboard bearings there's nothing cheap about them. I would rather learn how to properly use a mig welder and drill press and fabricate my own parts than put my life in the hands of a person in China who makes a couple dollars a day, example double monarch forks that have more powder coat than weld, I will say there is nothing wrong with a Huffy beach cruiser frame, my ex wife crashed my newly completed bike going about 30 mph, talk about mixed emotions, lol. My bike still powered me home with its bent forks and bent rim to get the truck to go back and take her to the hospital, I know what you're thinking... No it wasn't due to a coaster brake failure, she panicked on a curve with obstructions, my frame and Chinese made motor were just fine, she however acquired 5 fractures to her pelvis after flying through the air almost 15 feet. The true art to a custom built motorized bicycle is not how much you can spend, but how much of your thoughts and labor you can put into it.