1st Cruiser project

Here are some pics of my basic install on a cheap but sturdy Target Schwinn. Total project cost-bike, motor, oil/gas and accesories under $300. This is probably as inexpensive as it will get for all new parts install (including bike), but it is worth every penny for how much fun and satisfaction I get out of my creation, not to mention the looks I get. It's still going to get a custom cup holder on the handlebar, which will push it over the $300 mark-but for something I can cruz around town on all day for a couple bucks in gas and gives me a cheap thrill....you do the math :p

1653_cruz1_1.jpg

1653_cruz2_1.jpg

1653_cruz3_1.jpg

The petcock filter only gets the chunks, a good inline filter picks up the fine grit that can block smaller jets or cause the flote to leak. It will also trap any water in the gas, be it from the hose or condensation within the bike's tank itself.

Good luck, YMMV. :cool:

Perhaps you have a link to the kind of filter that traps water?

Thanks in advance.

Bikeguy Joe said:
Perhaps you have a link to the kind of filter that traps water?

Thanks in advance.

A Fram fuel filter that uses a paper element is what I'd use. Once gasoline soaks the paper, water will not pass through it.

Back in the day, racers of strokers (go-karts, bikes or outboards) would use fuel funnels that had a felt barrier in the bottom of the funnel. It was not uncommon to have a tablespoon of water on the felt after a 2 gallon fueling. This was just tossed aside. At a two day meet fellow competitors have been known to water others gas cans during the night. :devilish:

The additives that are sold for getting water out of a fuel systems are just alcohol based. The alcohol absorbs the water, then carries it through the system. Never leave this additive in a small engine because the alky will attack most inexpensive plastics. I would never use it.

Looks Great !!

Nice looking ride for sure. The Jag is a good choice for sure. Looks like an auto Clutch motor. Make sure you get your Air box turned around as soon as you can. Having it pointed up invites Dirt and water to collect and then go directly into your motor. Not a good thing. You can grind down your tubes and then point it down..or ..Get the White plastic shallow High performace Air box that has the side mounts. Enjoy the ride !!!

Thanks

Thanks for all the great help and ideas. I will get an inline filter on this and change my airfilter ASAP. Plus I am still adding a mirror and drink holder, so I will post another picture here soon. :D

locoWelder said:
Nice job, jmacpi33. :D
yup i agree very cool, the basket is convenient if ya need to bring a bag of groceries and no back pack...lol.
:D

Complete

My Schwinn is now finished and I wanted to thank everyone for their input, especially Papasaun for leading me to the bottom bracket I desperately needed. Added some stickers, fuel filter, extended cranks, header wrap, mirror and a nice drink cozy. And I should have a license plate arriving soon.
1653_1_2.gif

1653_2_2.gif

AND for my next project...
1653_3_2.gif

Thank you for the mention but,,, No Thanks needed! We all seem to take as much pride in getting these done as the owner! Very Nice cruiser, and a great looking first project. Now you will have us chomping at the bit to see the progress on that MP bike. What are you gonna put on it? 4 Stroke or 2 ?
Keep a thread going in general discussion for that build, and don't forget the Pics! :D

Very Glad I could help,

Papa

jmacpi33 - I'm interested in your next project, the green MP machine! Make sure to keep us posted on its progress...

Back