2 Engines 1 Bike

66cc-outlaw

Local time
9:14 AM
I have 2 motor bikes which I love very much. Both of witch I am constantly making minor repairs and adjustments on. One is chain driven and one is friction driven.

Has anyone ever heard of having both types of motors on a single. bike? I want to leave the chain drive motor on the bike and take the friction drive motor and attach it to that back in addition to it. So when you start you startup the frction motor and then when your going to can let go of the clutch and then start the chain drive motor. I might need to seperate throttle to make it work. Has anyone every tried this?

I have never heard of anyone doing that, but I think it's a clever way to get 2 gear ratios.

I have not seen a dual engine setup. I was going to say you could idle the friction motor until it is needed to climb hills, but I see you are from FLA. That being said, you could reserve the friction motor for accelerating to cruise speed and fighting headwinds. The electric motor is used that way in the Honda CRZ hybrid car.

here's something a little bit more for you to think about...

if you want to run both engines at once for more power, they will have to be the same size, first of all.

after that, you would have to engineer a linkage system between both drive shafts to ensure they both start simultaneously. anchoring the engines in a linear position (one after the next) would be necessary, and they could in effect be crank started/peddled or started otherwise at the same time, so long as both are in optimal or like condition.

if you absolutely are hooked on friction drives, mount one at the front wheel and one on the back, since mounting them both on the back would present you with space/room for installation issues.

i'm looking forward to seeing more and more belt and chain drives over the basic friction gliders.

here's an idea i have drawn out thinking about the idea.
http://oi50.tinypic.com/313i3c7.jpg

I have 2 motor bikes which I love very much. Both of witch I am constantly making minor repairs and adjustments on. One is chain driven and one is friction driven.

Has anyone ever heard of having both types of motors on a single. bike? I want to leave the chain drive motor on the bike and take the friction drive motor and attach it to that back in addition to it. So when you start you startup the frction motor and then when your going to can let go of the clutch and then start the chain drive motor. I might need to seperate throttle to make it work. Has anyone every tried this?
A few people have made double engined motorized bikes.

Chain driven is rather vague but if you mean a 66 cc 2 stroke I have
never seen one combined with a friction drive.

Of course you would need a throttle for each motor.

Try it, a friction drive is an easy fast install.
I don't see any great advantage and the negatives of the drag
of the friction spindle on the tire as you have to stop to disengage
the roller from the tire.

As MBR said negatives probably outweigh the positives, extra weight, more to go wrong.Maybe gearing for the engine that works well, I would dare say it would be easier to start with an electric motor then use the petrol engine when up to speed, so the electric only comes on for low torque/ slow speed, somewhat like the prius.
If you decide to try it please document it, problems encountered and such.

As MBR said negatives probably outweigh the positives, extra weight, more to go wrong. Maybe gearing for the engine that works well, I would dare say it would be easier to start with an electric motor then use the petrol engine when up to speed, so the electric only comes on for low torque/ slow speed, somewhat like the prius.
If you decide to try it please document it, problems encountered and such.

I agree with the weight problem especially at high speeds
I know until I got my trailer when I would get groceries, If I got to much weight I had to take it slow because of speed wobble.
The more the weight the more the wobble, so be careful and if you decide to try it please post pictures as you go along, and post about the wobble.
Now on a 3 wheel , it would work so much better.

Back