2-speed Jackshaft Anyone?

joshhoward@oldmotorbikes.com said:
Hey 5HP

I have both. If your just looking for all around performence, the torque converter it a all around champ!

I do like the 2 speed though. It looks cool with the 2 chains coming off the clutch. Depending on the gearing it can have a bunch of low end power. And **** good top end. But lacks in midrange power. I bought a brand new comet setup and it shifts to early. Around 12mph it shifts into second and its way to early. I did talk to Brandt at ruppparts.com and he has some springs tha i can swap in the driven clutch to get it to shift around 22mph. And that should work alot better. Im going to keep it on my Trail Horse and just swap the springs.

Last year at windber i had my Cat Dominator with H50 and Comet TAV-2 torque converter, and my Trail Horse with H50 and 2 speed. So i had a good compairison for both.

In the trails, The 2 speed had plenty of low end power to rip up the trails at low speed, but then it shifts to early so it would lack on the straight aways. The torque converter handled the trails like a champ tons of power from low to midrange rpms. it worked perfectly. (I give this one to the torque converter)

On the hill climb the 2 speed was perfect i would get a good running start it would shift into second right before the hill, then about 1/4 of the way up it slowed down and shifted back into first and it finished the hill no problem. The torque converter with a good running start killed it 1/2 way up the hill but then slowed down and didnt finish well. I dont know why but it didnt work real good on the steep incline around the top. (i give this one to the 2 speed)

I had a pulling contest on saturday night with my friends. The 2 speed had more low end power on won against the torque converter.

I had a few races with my friend on my block with both. The 2-speed would keep up with the torque converter off the line but when it shifted the torque converter would pull away. But by the end of the block the 2-speed would come back and pass the torque converter.

On price the whole 2 speed setup is around $100, and a new TAV-2 is about $150 on ebay.

So its really up to you on what one you like. For now i like the TAV-2 better because of the all around performence. But if i get the right springs for the 2 speed to set the stall on when it shifts, I might chainge my mind. Im going to order the parts from Brandt and i should have it all together in a month. Ill let you know how it works.

Josh

No one on that site complains about premature clutch ware. They just talk about the early switching.

On my 6.5 push trailer setup, I have to worry about pipe flexing. That will cause jerking in the middle range right?

Last edited:
Back