2 Speed Transmission

Another solution is to use a very small starter motor with small RC NiH batteries; and also using a freewheel so that once the engine revs up the starter simply is left behind. To start the engine: Pull the clutch, press the starter bottom and ready to go.
Some chinese engines have secondary coils for lights that could be used to recharge the batteries.

Hmmm....electric start....I like that....I think somebody here also mentioned somehow trying to start the engine via a cordless electric drill.....Some RC car engines I think are started that way.....alternatives to the bump start could definitely help us in the quest for the multi speed tranny...

Andrew

Andy - It would be fun to see if you could adapt it to one of our bikes. Actually the two belts don't go to the rear wheel they go to the counter shaft, you still have one drive to the rear wheel and it could be a chain. Also the first drive could be a chain to the main shaft Instead of a centrifugal clutch off there engine, you would use the clutch inside our engine. The drive from the happy engine would go to the position of the centrifugal clutch. You would remove the tooth belt drive and replace with a sprocket for the rear wheel. If you look it has a lever on the handle bars to engage the 2nd gear, as you let it out it engages the 2nd gear clutch and the 1st gear is over-ridden ( it has a sprag clutch ). Simple outfit, it has been used for a long time, but not with a hand clutch. Have fun, Dave
PS: I am going to keep there PDF manual. It uses a unique method, and is compact. The one that came on the Tote Goat uses two Centrifugal clutches.

Take a look. This whole outfit could be used. Drive would go to where the clutch drum is. and Sprocket too the rear wheel would come off the lower left shaft. Remove the tooth drive on the left side, and replace with a sprocket. The housing carries the shafts and has the bearing bosses in it. You would still use the belts to the gears. The lever with the holes in it is the lever that engages the clutch inside High gear. Have fun, Dave
PS: You would have to use the pull starter.

Attachments

• PICT0201.JPG
    PICT0201.JPG
    84.5 KB · Views: 605
:cool:JMO, bumpstart mechanisms could be fabricated and adapted from any of the engine's four shaft locations. Basically, a knurled or roughly-textured shaft would protrude through the engine covers. These would be wrapped with a pullstart rope to start the engine.

The pullstart mechanism could also be attached wherever there was ample space to installed the knurled or textured surface onto the jackshaft. The jackshaft itself could be machined to accept the pullstart rope.

Orrr, a starter pawl or bolt head protruding from the engine shaft or jackshaft could be cranked up by a cordless screwdriver drill. Some jackshafts have threaded ends and retaining nuts. Those nuts would be perfect starter pawls for the cordless drill.

Myron

If you could add or encorporate a reversed freewheel into the clutched gear, then you could bump start in high gear. You might be able to make this work like a coaster brake does, using parts of the clutch.

You are correct there is no freewheel in high gear, that would work. It will start in high gear. I think this outfit would fit behind the engine in front of the rear wheel nicely, I wonder what the unite would cost? Have fun Dave
If you could add or encorporate a reversed freewheel into the clutched gear, then you could bump start in high gear. You might be able to make this work like a coaster brake does, using parts of the clutch.

Attachments

• transmission.jpg
    transmission.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 1,167
Hi Dave,

It is true that there is no freewheel in high gear, BUT there is a centrifugal clutch on the high gear sprocket that would unfortunately prevent the bump start I believe (most likely the expanding shoes etc are attached to the shaft itself and the sprocket is attached to the driven hub so, I believe, no matter how fast you pedaled the bike all you would do is spin the clutch hub with no hope of engagement since the "expanding guts" of the system is attached to the shaft meant to be spun by the engine (if it were running)....If the shoes don't expand to touch the clutch hub there is no direct connection....I hope I worded that well enough to be understood...

Andrew

What if, instead of automatic shifting=centrifugal clutch, the high gear is engaged manualy with a second manual clutch and a shift lever. While running on low gear the second clutch is not engaged, only later to shift to high gear; this time by actuating the shift lever that releases the second clutch engaging the high gears(well sprockets & chain, or belts etc) and taking over while the transmission freewheel leaves low gear behind.

This way we could still butstart on high.

Back