2 stoke kits, countinous ride time?

bikes4ever

Local time
9:42 AM
Im a bit confused for continuous ride times, on a bikebery vidoe they answered someone that they should ride them for 30 mins and with a 1 hour cool down time.

But on this forum, I read people riding for hours (maybe they are using different kits)

Does anyone know if the Dragon Fire flying horse 2 66cc is aired cool and after the break in period how long can I expect to ride continuously before letting the engine cool down

a lot of this depends on whether you are one of the many folks that lock the throttle at WOT for the entire trip

If you spend time to jet it correctly (after changing the air filter for one that breathes better and plane flat the cylinder head for good sealing there) then there shouldn't be any limit to time of use.

I ride my Grubee GT5A WOT for a couple hours. Maybe not WOT all that time due to turns and stop signs, but haven't had any trouble. I have driven 2 stroke outboard motors for many hours (4?) at a time, often only stopping to refuel. My KTM 125 has done up to 250kms non-stop at 100-120 kph. The usual problem with that was cracking a pipe from the rev vibrations. The KTM would only be riding at about 1/4 throttle at those speeds.

25464_371305075802_2896505_n.jpg

On long hard mountain rides, my engine is running continuously for hours and hours. When I stop and take a break especially when far away from home, I usually leave it running. Proper jetting/carb mixture is critical to ensure you are not running too lean (hot).

it's air cooled, as long as you keep moving it'll keep cool. just don't go wide open for too long, and don't try to coast with the clutch engaged.

it's a 2 stroke thing, not just air cooled motors. the motor will continue to turn at the same RPM that the wheels dictate (think engine braking), but with the throttle closed less fuel/air mix will come into the motor. for a 2 stroke less fuel means less oil.

Thanks Butre. It makes a lot of sense, and is something I hadn't thought of. my rig has a shift kit ( freewheel so no engine braking), so for me it's not too big an issue. I do miss the engine braking for handling though.
It's also why it never like to run out of gas with a 2-stroke, especially if it has dual carbs. - One always runs out before the other, causing one cylinder to lean out.

Back