2 stoke kits, countinous ride time?

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by bikes4ever, Jan 15, 2016.

1. bikes4ever

bikes4ever New Member

Im a bit confused for continuous ride times, on a bikebery vidoe they answered someone that they should ride them for 30 mins and with a 1 hour cool down time.

But on this forum, I read people riding for hours (maybe they are using different kits)

Does anyone know if the Dragon Fire flying horse 2 66cc is aired cool and after the break in period how long can I expect to ride continuously before letting the engine cool down

2. crassius

crassius Well-Known Member

a lot of this depends on whether you are one of the many folks that lock the throttle at WOT for the entire trip

3. jaguar

jaguar Well-Known Member

If you spend time to jet it correctly (after changing the air filter for one that breathes better and plane flat the cylinder head for good sealing there) then there shouldn't be any limit to time of use.

4. i am about to put a temp senor on mine to keep track of the heat

5. sbest

sbest Active Member

I ride my Grubee GT5A WOT for a couple hours. Maybe not WOT all that time due to turns and stop signs, but haven't had any trouble. I have driven 2 stroke outboard motors for many hours (4?) at a time, often only stopping to refuel. My KTM 125 has done up to 250kms non-stop at 100-120 kph. The usual problem with that was cracking a pipe from the rev vibrations. The KTM would only be riding at about 1/4 throttle at those speeds.

[​IMG]

6. Skyliner70cc

Skyliner70cc Active Member

On long hard mountain rides, my engine is running continuously for hours and hours. When I stop and take a break especially when far away from home, I usually leave it running. Proper jetting/carb mixture is critical to ensure you are not running too lean (hot).

7. butre

butre Well-Known Member

it's air cooled, as long as you keep moving it'll keep cool. just don't go wide open for too long, and don't try to coast with the clutch engaged.

8. Arty

Arty Active Member

Butre:
    I haven't heard of the "don't coast with the clutch engaged" rule. - - Any idea of the reasoning?

KenM likes this.
  9. butre

butre Well-Known Member

it's a 2 stroke thing, not just air cooled motors. the motor will continue to turn at the same RPM that the wheels dictate (think engine braking), but with the throttle closed less fuel/air mix will come into the motor. for a 2 stroke less fuel means less oil.

10. Arty

Arty Active Member

Thanks Butre. It makes a lot of sense, and is something I hadn't thought of. my rig has a shift kit ( freewheel so no engine braking), so for me it's not too big an issue. I do miss the engine braking for handling though.
    It's also why it never like to run out of gas with a 2-stroke, especially if it has dual carbs. - One always runs out before the other, causing one cylinder to lean out.

11. HeadSmess

HeadSmess Well-Known Member

but along with less load comes less heat and less demand for oil...

note 99% of strokes fitted with injectors have a cable in synch with the throttle...they deliver oil proportional to the throttle settings...this means virtually no oil when compression braking or just pootling along with the throttle barely cracked...
    never been a problem with any big-name motorcycle manufacturers or they would have stopped doing it that way years ago.

12. sbest

sbest Active Member

Oil injected engines are wonderful. Even the cable ones get some oil on coast and their reliability is many times better than their reputation. Oil injection is blamed for many engine failures but all I've ever seen was operator errors. No oil in the tank, poor jetting, no air filter, modifications that didn't go well... When it fails, it is blamed on the oil injection because operator cannot shoulder the real cause. Excuse my rant, but have seen it too often.

I couldn't find a link to the original SAE study, but radioisotope oil studies revealed 2 stroke oil remains in the bearings for 30 min or more after delivery is stopped. This article refers to it: http://www.bridgestonemotorcycle.com/documents/oilpremix6.pdf

Steve

13. HeadSmess

HeadSmess Well-Known Member

only once have i met someone shoulder the blame... they used the wrong type of oil, and openly admit it by advising one to never use the same type themselves. the bottles do say (in fine print of course) not suitable for injected systems. me? i cant see the point in blowing 3X the money on some fancy oil that wont run through an injector.

though... i did have on of those horrible...um...gy6? chinese scooter engines seize up on me. end cause? badly located oil line that the previous owner had sheared off somehow. teach me to fill the tank up and not run premix without checking everything first.

its amazing how much oil lurks in the bottom of a crankcase even when using (gasp shock horror) 100:1 on a HT.