2-stroke cylinder head design

Been riding sleds over 30 years, seen all kinds of claims and bogus tricks come and go, like the "turbo" cranks.This head "design" is another one of the BS things

Looking at things from a practical perspective, i can see carbon deposits filling in and smoothing the fluted design, thereby significantly reducing any beneficial effect of a radially grooved cylinder head.

Thats pretty much the size of it.Plus before it gets carboned up, the peaks of the flutes are also hot spots.

I have never seen any mention of Honda using a fluted combustion chamber on their 500cc Grand Prix 2-stroke motorcycle engines.

If Honda doesn't use the concept, then it is a worthless concept; worthy of no further consideration.

I have never seen any mention of Honda using a fluted combustion chamber on their 500cc Grand Prix 2-stroke motorcycle engines.

If Honda doesn't use the concept, then it is a worthless concept; worthy of no further consideration.

Whats your point?

His point is that if it isn't good enough to be used on one of the best grand prix race teams that it isn't a worthwhile design. There is some merit to that argument but it has some holes also.
For one, anything that is designed for low rpm power boosting will be of no use for bikes that only operate in the top range of rpm. Two, because of patents it could be that a great design is not used by the Honda race team or any other team that does not possess the patent.

The Singh head, being kin to the other designs mentioned here, has a purpose of boosting low rpm power. It had a good impartial test with dyno testing on a car engine (4 stroke) and from about 2100 to 3500 it did boost power but not a significant amount. It also lowered exhaust gas temperature above 4500 rpm so it would be counterproductive on a 2 stroke with an expansion chamber. That is because a higher EGT is desired at high rpm to get an upper extension to the pipes powerband. The head of a car engine leaves almost no room for the grooves, whereas a 2 stroke head has lots of room. But Singh focuses only on car engines for some strange reason. He is trying to make money by leasing his patented design. No manufacturer has made that deal yet, which is why it is not being used. If it was without patent maybe it would be in use. Anyone here willing to try it out and see if it boosts low rpm power?

Last edited by a moderator:
Just because it has a patent does not mean that it is superior or useful, it only means the person who was awarded the patent was persistant.
I noticed the Briggs and Stratton head that is the only case where the "fireslot" as its known in cart circles works.

Back