2 stroke mount fit

Discussion in 'Frame Mounted Engines' started by PoloMan, Mar 30, 2012.

1. PoloMan

PoloMan New Member

Hello quick question, im starting my second build and about to order a 2 stroke slant head 80cc motor (grubee)

The bike im gonna use is an old steel diamondback outlook mtn bike with the down tube width of about 1 1/2 inches

Would i need a universal mount? If so what are my options? Drill? no drill?

Any suggestions? Thanks

2. shell shock

shell shock Member

no matter what, do not drill your frame! you are asking to shear your down tube

3. jeffuehrer

jeffuehrer Member

Sick bike parts has a decent universal mounting set-up. Steel is the best material and I agree with shell shock too...don't drill the frame.

4. vermhot

vermhot Member

Hey how big of a hole in the frame do you have to have for it to shear the down tube ??!! I drilled a 3/8 hole in 2 different bikes that have alot of miles on and nothing yet !! Is this a urban myth ???!!!! Can you post pics of it ??!!

5. Al.Fisherman

Al.Fisherman Active Member

No it's not a myth. Although you can get away with drilling a hole, here I drilled out the rivet nut that holds on a water bottle, here is the result.
    [​IMG] Steel frame!

Last edited: Apr 3, 2012
  6. vermhot

vermhot Member

Was it just a bad frame to begin with ??!!

7. vermhot

vermhot Member

Were you riding it when it cracked ??!!

8. jeffuehrer

jeffuehrer Member

Cracks kill.

9. Al.Fisherman

The frame was fine, I drilled out the rivet nut that holds the water bottle bracket, to run wire up to the top. YES my son was riding it, but thankfully he was riding it slow in a parking lot when the tube snapped. That is why I don't recommend drilling into a standard tube.

10. vermhot

vermhot Member

Wow I would have never thought that would happen !!!!

11. Al.Fisherman

Reread post #8
    Time to rethought :>)

12. vermhot

vermhot Member

Wait till you see the big hole that I drilled in mine !!!!!!! Will make most cringe!!!

13. Al.Fisherman

No it won't...why...I'm not gonna be riding it. Time to rethink.

14. HeadSmess

HeadSmess Well-Known Member

i got a reputation as a kid for breaking BMX frames... and not always cheap ones, either...

metallurgy is a strange beast. when combined with stress raisers and vibrations, its gets even wackier...

DONT DRILL HOLES! and check all joints on a motorised frame weekly, regardless!