2 Stroke Oil Mix at the Gas Pump

I just realized what we are making is a 3 hand operation device. One on the device, One on the pump, and one on the syringe. We need a effective way to attach the end of the pump to the Device. It wouldn't need to seal exactly, just hold on so one hand holds the pump and the device at the same time. I was thinking rubber tubing on the end with a pipe clamp that has a nob tightner as apposed to screw driver or wrench. Or something kin to the a quik release, like on some bike seats.

I already thought of it. Where the gas nozzle comes into the delivery tube it's tapered, not like a funnel, but so you can snug it up and not need a third hand..

But, you've got a great idea - and I know just the fitting to do it.

Rubber hosing and a springed hose clamp. The spring stays on the hose, and locks down on the nozzle when you need it tight.

Now, there is another thing I was thinking about incorporating into the original sketch. Towards the tip of the delivery tube, just have a hook to hold it onto the lip of the gas tank. I decided against it because with a traditional kickstand it would be too at risk of tipping the bike.

The only problem with the rubber fitting being used to attach the gas nose to the device is how do you have that and maintain a way to seal it on that end. And if that is the case could you buy a very large spring to loop around the device and the gas pump end at the same time, or am I over thinking this?

Also if you go with a hook on the end of the device to hook it on the gas tank, provided the bike can stand on its own, wouldn't that Ground it out?

Could you give me a link to where you get one of those Mix syringes?

How would you accurately calculate how long to make that Mixing Pipe?

The mix syringes are here. http://www.sickbikeparts.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=77

A hook alone wouldn't ground it out if the delivery tube were plastic, as plastic isn't conductive. It would have to have metal going down the length of the delivery tube, or be made of metal. As well, your gas tank isn't grounded, unless you shaved the paint off the brackets.

There really doesn't need to be any exact calculations for the delivery tube - as long as the oil and gas come in direct contact with each other for even just a few inches, that will do most of the mixing. Any additional mixing will come when it enters the gas tank, hitting the bottom of the tank and any gas already in the tank. I was thinking about 12-18 inches for total length though.

I think it's neat that you have an eccentric mind. Maybe you will discover something new.

I think your device is complicated though, and messy. Like any funnel, after use, it must be cleaned thoroughly or capped, or it will drip/leak onto something.

I fill my 1/2 gallon tank at the house, and carry one of these for a spare:
f805b4df-320f-4e15-a717-28c8711ba96e_100.jpg

(not ryobi or synthetic, but similar tiny bottle)

You can find lots of small bottles such as Monster Energy Shooters or something from the cosmetics dept at walmart (empty travel containers), which you could use to hold "individual servings" of oil for small amounts like 1/4 Gallon or 1 Litre.

Also, you can mark a small Gatorade (wide mouth) bottle for the amount of oil to 1 gallon or 1/2 gallon, etc, and just carry it in your luggage bag. Remember to squeeze the bottle some before capping, for heat expansion.

If you mix oil and gas in your fuel tank, instead of a separate container, make sure it is mixed well before firing the bike, or you could foul your filter or spark plug.

That's what caused me to think of an alternative to the mix can. These tanks just aren't designed for intank mixing - the oil will undoubtedly go straight into the line for the amount of oil it takes per tank. It's tough to pour at the same time as pumping, getting it in the stream of fuel. I initially was flirting with the idea of using the same concept as a miracle grow adapter on a garden hose, but there was no guaranteed way of getting the same amount of oil every fueling, and it'd be for a much higher volume of mixed fuel for it to work. That's when I took the miracle grow concept and just essentially reversed it, and then you have what we have right here in this thread.

I've actually been thinking since getting all the suggestions from everyone here, that really it wouldn't even take such a large a device as I first thought up. The fuel delivery tube would really only have to be more of a "tip" to the nozzle, and as such, it would only be as big as the syringe, possibly even smaller. This is something I'm going to HAVE to make, I'm placing the order today from SBP for the syringe, and I'll hit up the local store for some rubber tubing when it comes in. Going to have to go to the fuel station to get exact measurements.

My shopping list looks like this.

*MixMizer Syringe
*1' Rubber Hose (diameter unknown)
*1' Fuel Line
*x2 Large Threaded Hose Clamps
*x1 Springed Hose Clamp

I plan to get extra hose and actually build this right at the fuel station so I can go to an unused pump whenever I need to see how it lines up.

Last edited:
Check your local laws, but if you want something that doesn't stand out as a fuel tank to be stolen, this should work well (store with spout up in case the spout fails)

tide.jpg

http://www.thebaughers.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/tide.jpg

The SUn brand detergent works well in the laundry, and the large square container works well. I plan to use one for my mower gas.

If you are concerned about heat and venting, drill a hole in the flat cap, and insert a auto tire valve, inverted. excess pressure will open the valve and bleed off overpressure, then reseat.

I like the inverted tire valve idea and it's filed away for a future project, but keep in mind that the purpose of this project isn't how to carry a large amount, but to only have to carry oil and fuel at a pump, so as to not need to carry a full gallon or mixing can.

Back