2 Stroke or 4 stroke. Can't make up my mind.

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by M_Saint, Nov 24, 2008.

1. M_Saint

M_Saint New Member

I live in Pa so I need to stay under the 50cc limit so I can get my bike titled as a moped. I really like 4 strokes but I do know that a 2 stroke of the same cc will always make a little more horse power. My intent is to use the bike for my 30 mile round trip to work and back 5 days a week in the warmer months.

I am new to the motor biking thing and need some advice as I am not real knowledgeable pertaining to the performance of either. Nor on the reliability factors.

This is the 4 stroke kit I have been looking at http://www.bicycle-engines.com/49cc-complete-powered-engine-p-156.html I would run it with the heavy duty axle and hub brake they offer.

As for which 2 stroke. I have been reading and reading and still have not come up with one that stands out more than the others. Are the bicycle-engines.com 2 strokes any good or are everyones engines being sold more or less the same. Also is the CC marked on the 2 stroke engines somewhere or only on the receipt :) ?

There is also the option with a 2 stroke to do a horse power upgrade once I have the bike titled so that is attractive to me.

I have already ordered a bike from my local dealer and purchased a set of welded heavy duty Monarch forks. Now all I need to do is figure out power and drive train. Help doing this would be much appreciated.

2. Mountainman

Mountainman Active Member

good morning and welcome to you

if you go into the search engine here on site
    you should be able to find a lot of information
    regarding --- 2-stroke or 4-stroke

for a four stroke ---- I like the Robin and Honda
    2-stroke ----------- Mit
    if you are looking for true quality -- these fit the bill...

have fun as you build that THING and ride that THING
  3. M_Saint

M_Saint New Member

I've searched here and read alot but still haven't come to a decision.
  4. Mountainman

how important is the price ?
    is it all wide open -- or what's your tops ?
  5. TWalker

TWalker Guest

For 30 mile round trips I would go with a rack mounted set up. In general I would stay away from the engine gear boxes you are looking at. If you want a 2 stroke try the Mitsubishi at Staton.

A $400 Dax set up is the lowest price or $550 Staton Robin Subaru will fit the bill for a long commute and reliability.
  6. Happy Valley

Happy Valley Active Member

Well my friend, since you asked for opinions.

I think a 30 mile commute 5 days a week on a motorized bicycle is beyond the scope of what they are intended for. Not trying to be snarky here, it's just asking a lot.

MBs are not motorcycles. There is bound to be reliabilty issues with just about any bicycle, engine or mount in the motorized bicycle category with a daily pounding under the need to get somewhere on time. Further, I think it would be risky as heck dealing with traffic and road hazards at that distance daily.
    Also, the rider is gonna take a pounding. Maybe you can mitigate that a little with a full suspension bike but then you limit your mounting choices.

Don't mean to be a wet blanket here but I wonder if you've thought this through? I can go out and put 20 or 30 miles on one of my bikes but I take all afternoon if I need to and stop when I want and sometimes alter my route to get away from traffic. Hate to see you set up expectations you're gonna be disappointed with. I'm really of the opinion using a MB for a daily commute would be limited to 5 miles each way, MAX.

Anyway, that's just my 2 cents on that.

2 stroke or 4 stroke? I have both and I like the 4 for quiet but if I was thinking about a long commute with a lot of WOT, I'd go with a 2 stoke every time. Engine choices? Stick with Robin, Honda, Mitsu, Tanaka.
  7. M_Saint

M_Saint New Member

Heh .. I deal with that now except Im pedaling on a road bike :)
  8. M_Saint

M_Saint New Member

Well I wouldn't want to get in it what I would put out to just buy a whizzer or such.
  9. 5-7HEAVEN

5-7HEAVEN Guest

If it's a tough decision between two-strokes and four-stroke engines, consider the facts that you will be adding $1 worth of oil for every gallon of gas. If gas costs $2.50/gallon, oil will add 40% to that cost.

And of course, there's the advantage of not having to store pre-mixed gas, and the luxury of pulling up at any gas pump.

For 30-mile daily commutes, I'd build two quality full-suspension bikes for less wear and tear on you and the bikes. Both would have 1.6hp Subaru four-stroke engines and friction drives, and I'd rotate them every other day.

Bicycle maintenance would be very important. When one bike is down for maintenance or repairs, the other keeps on going.

At 220 mpg, that'd cost you three gallons of gas per month, say $7.50, plus $3 more if using a two-stroke engine.

The motorized bikes would pay for themselves in four months or less.

For a 43 yo guy in reasonably good shape, it is do-able.
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 24, 2008
  10. SirJakesus

SirJakesus Guest

I have a couple of rack mounted mits engines on dual suspension mountain bikes. They're both awesome. If you're not looking to off-road go with the friction drive. They're really smooth and they are so light you can easily lift the engine and ride the bike under pedal power just like it was before you motorized it. They do have the disadvantage of wet weather drive slippage but if you're used to pedaling anyway it shouldn't be a problem. Check out the links in my signature. The NEXT is definitely my preferred bike for on road cruising. The bicycle itself was only about $170 from wallyworld and the staton mitts kit with dual engagement rods and 8in extension brackets was about $500. I used some beefy continental town & country 26x2.1 tires. I could definitely do a 30 mile trip on one of these. It's not hard to carry enough fuel either. I just use some old transmission fluid/oil quart jugs and strap them to the drive channel until I get a bag on the right side of the rack. 2 strokes are lighter and simpler machines as well, the only maintenance I do to mine is add fuel stabilizer to the gas to keep it fresh and the carb clean, and clean the air filter often. Much easier than oil changes and valve adjustments. The ability to hold WOT constantly if you wish is a definite plus. The friction mitts is extremely quiet too until you peak out the revs but its still never obnoxious.
  11. ZnsaneRyder

ZnsaneRyder Member

That's a lot of miles. I was doing the same miles or more on mine, (bike w/trailer) and found myself to be replacing tires on the bike VERY often, along with bearings, belt, and tires on the trailer. I got another bike from wearing my old one out.

Much like 5-7HEAVEN says, I'm going for 2 gas bikes for reliability. I'm building another bike now, and sticking with 4 stroke for the lack of oil mixing and better running and starting than a 2 stroke. For LOTS of miles, it's not good if you forget your mix oil with a 2-stroke. At least you can just pedal-and-fill with a 4 stroke if you run out of gas. 2 bikes gives you the ability to keep riding when one breaks.

I know legality may be an issue, so I'd choose a HondaGXH50 engine or similar 4-stroke over a 2-stroke 50cc any day.
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2008
  12. M_Saint

M_Saint New Member

Yup after speaking to some vendors on the phone I am going with a HondaGXH50 from smallenginewarehouse.com and the kit and heavy hub and drum brake from bicycle-engines.com. My local bike dealer ordered in several cruisers from a scratch and dent list for me to choose from. (hopefully one of them will have enough frame room for the 4 stroke). I was also told that I can tap some voltage from the engine for a lithium ion charging system for my light batteries on the 4 stroke.

All I need to source now is some brake light switches.

So now as long as everything goes well with getting it tittled as a moped I will be a happy camper :)
  13. Mountainman

man -- that's a whole lot of -- riding that thing

I am thinking pretty close with Happy Valley here

sure a 30 mile commute on a motorized bicycle -- can be done

but -- can we say easily done -- we think not

there is a place that I travel to often on my motor bike
    it's about 20 miles from the old mountain
    taking into account -- some stops and hills along the way
    it takes me close to 1 1/2 hours to get there

guess the question for you may be --
    are you planning for a 3 to 4 hour (both ways) ride each day ?

your new post (just above) just beat me in here
    I see you have picked the Honda 50
    good choice -- and will have a much better high speed than my Robin 35cc
    that will help with your time traveled

man -- that's a whole lot of -- riding that thing
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2008
  14. HI,

For possibly the best of both worlds (2 stroke power and reliability), I'd go with a Morini engine....less than 50CC but available with MEGA power....A little pricey BUT I'm sure alot of FUN....Easy Rider has two builds with this engine.

Hope this helps.

15. 5-7HEAVEN

5-7HEAVEN Guest

For a 43 yo guy in reasonably good shape, it is do-able.[/QUOTE]

Maybe do-able, but not fun. Sorta like riding a horse many miles to work.

We have co-workers living 35 miles from work. It would save a lot of gas using a MB to commute.

However, it all depends on the traffic. If it's light and the roads are good, the ride might be enjoyable. If traffic is snarly, it's hazardous to your health.
  16. Mountainman

true blast of a machine

yes -- I have also been dreaming about one of these

don'r like the way in which (one model) the muffler sweeps up
    looks to be a leg burner
    could be wrong -- just wondering while looking at the picture

but man oh man

that THING would get one to where ever SO MUCH FASTER

looks to be a true blast of a machine !!!

ride that thing
  17. Accender

Accender Member

4 stroke for the win.

18. jg767

jg767 Member

I' vebeen going 50 miles round trip 4 or 5 times a week all winter, aslow as 5 degrees,I' m used to it now, I guess it beats skiiing! THe staton chain drive with the tanaka40cc is holding up well, still on my first chain. But to get around a little faster I just bought a 9.4 hp Morini, thinking of putting it on a Motobecane Fantom 29er from bikesdirect.com, the bigger tires are said to really smooth out the bumps, Ifthe morini is as reliable as the tanaka I'll be tickled pink! I really just love 2 strokes!
  19. chrisnbush

chrisnbush Member

This thread might be dead (!) but I am not. I have now 1600+ miles on my DAX engine, i replaced the stock upper wrist pin bearings with is performance bearings (which had nubs on the cage), and I haven't had a problem - have been commuting 30 miles roundtrip to work, it takes 45 minutes max. But I don't have to deal with much traffic.

Problems I had: I broke a master link at 150 miles, had to replace the CDI at 250 (this is highly unusual), and had to put a new rear wheel on it ($70 from Spookytooth) at 1150. As I had about 1500 on the bike already, and my last wheel was a piece of **** from Let-It-Roll, I don't consider the wheel (or the CDI) as a negative. And the master link was my own fault from re-using the same one too many times (I knew the clip was weak)- back from when I bought my first engine and messed around with a number of builds.

I am psyched at 1600, going for 2K... At some point, thinking about replacing the wrist pin at least, as this is the only thing I can SEE that wears. But for the trouble, a new engine at about 100 with shipping in the fall almost makes sense.