2-stroke/single-speed...operation for topend performance?

sawman...you waited almost a year to post, then it was here of all places...i feel like i should take the suggestion seriously. i've been searching for tanaka performance parts, i find carbs and pipes but no ignition...can you tell me anything specific, please?

Last edited:
Zenoah G23LH coil...Daves discount motors should have it.i also have a tanaka mine hit the rev limit and mine is built to the max.i know i'm suppose to introduce myself first i will later when i have time. just thought i could help you out.

hey, i don't run the place, i don't care where you post ;)

i was tickled that you felt like jumping in to help...i will be researching, soon as i post this "thanks" :cool:

drop down to the 13 tooth, index the e-3 plug, and then theres the nitro blast ingnition, makes a powerful spark.

i have plenty of spark...spark is not a problem, the e3 burns whatever i can throw at it and the electrode is so clean i get scared i'm running too lean. i'm about 3/4 turn richer than the recommended preset, and it sounds great, but i'm still getting no power to attain and sustain potential top end.

boost-bottle's coming off today for a couple of runs...as i mentioned it's about 33% too large anyway, and i'm ready to grasp at straws. still much to learn, i think i may have to start from scratch and upgrade more methodically next time.

Last edited:
www.bladezscooters.com read about the nitroblast ing. you spark is good but it will be 3 times better and a big gain in power. I have a tanaka 47r and I can get more top end with the 13 tooth than the 14 but I have 26x2.2 tires. let me know your results if you try this. also when you run a the salt flats run and tune without the air filter but I would not run without it too many times. I run my airplane motors without filter all the time with no problems.

Just starting on the bicycle engines but have been racing and riding motocross all my life.

My tanaka 32cc should be here friday so not really sure of the workings of the motor yet.

Just things that could normally cause these things in a 2 stroke, Does the carb have low and high speed jets? Have you read the spark plug?(is it wet after a high speed run or white)? Is the needle adjustable ? What kinda altitude does the carb come pre jetted for compared to the elevation you live?

Just some things to consider,
Rob.

hi, rob...you are soo gonna luv the tanaka...it's 2-stroke rocket-science.

i'm at completely sea-level. i have no idea where the carby was born, it's a basic 12mm walbro w/high-speed adjustment.

idle mixture inside barrel, set to just-rich.

high-speed mixture is very touchy...no-go on anything over the line towards lean, great lowend-pull when rich, but doggone it i can't get any rpm's. when it's freewheeling it just screams, so i know it can do it.

a brand-new e3 spark plug looks very nice, always dry...it's just getting tan along the index-line.

so i keep going rich, it keeps burning it, but i ain't gettin' any speed.

How about the pipe? are you still running the stock pipe?

Maybe with the bigger carb the stock pipe is hindering performance, might look into a tuned pipe for your needs/wants.....

Just a thought.

Rob.

yeah...stock muffler/convertor/spark arrestor...all clear and flowing.

dennis says i should try a 1 1/8" stinger extension, so you seem to be on the right track.

my goal is to run as close to stock as i can...i really want to be able to say i did it with the catalytic convertor in place (epa/carb compliance is important to the club)

Back