2-stroke/single-speed...operation for topend performance?

Hey Augi, I just went ahead and purchased the hp upgrade kit for my tanaka 40 which includes the power pipe, velocity stack and carburetor. A bit pricey but I've been curious as to how much more performance I can get out of this engine. The stats say an additional 1000 rpm's and a 3-4mph increase...should be interesting. I saw a video on you-tube where a guy showed a performance tip re: carburetor adjustment at the cable which showed the butterfly not completely open when the throttle was fully pulled...maybe check that tweak?

yeah...stock muffler/convertor/spark arrestor...all clear and flowing.

dennis says i should try a 1 1/8" stinger extension, so you seem to be on the right track.

my goal is to run as close to stock as i can...i really want to be able to say i did it with the catalytic convertor in place (epa/carb compliance is important to the club)

I don't know if you have in the past but it might be a good time to do a little research on tuned pipes for 2 strokes.

I remember reading in a dirtbike magazine where they were dynoing a 2 stroke motocross bike (cr250) and checking the effects of dented pipes. They would take a hammer and dent the pipe in different spots to see what happens to the power, when they dented the head pipe they kept getting consistently higher horspower readings, but when they dented the expansion chamber the power would usually drop.

Very interesting article! Just goes to show how much a 2 stroke relies on a well tuned pipe.
Rob.

Today after work i went back to the service dept. and used the mechanics wireless tach to find out my max rpm's. i hit 14k when it maxed out. these motors sure are tough. As far as speed goes i hit 35 mph with a 13 tooth thats fast enough for me. It gets there very quickly!

Today after work i went back to the service dept. and used the mechanics wireless tach to find out my max rpm's. i hit 14k when it maxed out. these motors sure are tough. As far as speed goes i hit 35 mph with a 13 tooth thats fast enough for me. It gets there very quickly!

Which motor, kit combo are you running?
If you don't mind me asking approx how much do you weigh? and your bike??

Just trying to find out what i should expect from my Gebe Tanaka 32cc
I weigh 170# and my bike is about 36#...

Thanks,
Rob....

Hi
my bike i'm guessing weights about 60#.I weight 225# I need to diet for faster speeds. i also have a 32cc that i'm about to put on a new project. very quiet motor. you should be able to get the same speed with upgrades.

If you use the silencer not to loud. your 32cc stock is whisper quiet. so there will be a big differance. it's not loud to me but i listen to a concrete saw allday long.

yes, rob...i've read read read so much about pipes i don' wan' read no more. i pretty much understand, finally, the world of 2-stokes, but i don't have any facilities to play beyond a basic mechanic's set, and some enthusiastic supporters. i just want something that works.

sawman, are you using the tanaka-branded performance pipe? and, when you were hitting peak rpm's, no-load i assume, where were you in the mixture range? another question...do you have an upgraded coil?

that 40 with a 13tooth must really haul butt.

Last edited:
Back