2-stroke/single-speed...operation for topend performance?

yes, rob...i've read read read so much about pipes i don' wan' read no more. i completely understand, finally, the world of 2-stokes, but i don't have any facilities to play beyond a basic mechanic's set, and some enthusiastic supporters. i just want something that works.

sawman, are you using the tanaka-branded performance pipe?

Hi, Augi
Yes i'm useing the tanaka pipe.with a 13 tooth gear my best so far is 35mph.but it will do it allday long.i have done no internal mods. but after taking to the guru's at work i will do more modifieing. these guys work with this stuff all day long. if you need answers just post. i will ask the service guys. i'm kinda new to 2 stroke performance.

yes, rob...i've read read read so much about pipes i don' wan' read no more. i pretty much understand, finally, the world of 2-stokes, but i don't have any facilities to play beyond a basic mechanic's set, and some enthusiastic supporters. i just want something that works.

sawman, are you using the tanaka-branded performance pipe? and, when you were hitting peak rpm's, no-load i assume, where were you in the mixture range? another question...do you have an upgraded coil?

that 40 with a 13tooth must really haul butt.

sorry.
i didn't read the entire post.when i did my test it was under no load just wanted to find my max rpms. as far as mixture i'm running a tad on the rich side. and no i'm not running a upgraded coil. i read somewere these motors have a rev limiter then i read somewere else they don't that was the reason for the test.finding power on these motors is tricky. i could live with mine the way it is. i should quit while i'm still alive. but i'm still to young to resist.

this is cool, like a virtual dyno. yeah, den told me the tanaka's would rev alright.

did you happen to notice when the tanaka pipe kicked in?

i'm pretty sure i can go way richer (this e3 plug would burn it by the cupful i think, it rocks) but i can't get the right pulse happening...anyone know for sure if the boost-bottle helps or hinders top-r's? it's off right now, because i have great idle and acceleration without it...so i saw no need. plus, by volume the bottle's too large by 33%. opinions on that?

Last edited:
The pipe is suppose to help through the entire rpm range it wound up so quickly i really couldn't tell.i have juice box on mine i think it does the same thing as a boost bottle it seems to work good acceleration is fantastic for a little motor.i wanna tryout the E3 plug other then that i think i'm done with this motor. i'm very happy with the performance.i don't want to mess up a good motor.

"E3.12" is what you need...i found it on amazon for $11.50 total. "auto-alley" is the vendor.

since i don't seem to need any lowend help, i'm going for no boost-bottle, altho it sure did help idle and lowend with the stock carby.

anyone wanna contribute a beta-pipe for a 32 that starts to pull at about 7500r's?

if i can limp along for 3/4 mile before i start to peak, should i be going after a predominately lean or rich mix? so far, lean only screams best under no-load, but boy does it ever...rich gets a great range but all too definite a topend. i'm going into this totally noob and have no idea what kind of stategies i'm supposed to be using. single-speed sure is a whole 'nother world, i tell ya whut. and, we're only talkin' about 2 tablespoons of displacement, so how fast should i be realistically expecting to go? i'll have about 260lb GVW...shoot, if i can hit 45, i'll poop my leathers in glee.

Last edited:
E3 website says Home Depot carries them ill try there.my old redmax motor 25cc could hit 35mph with me on it that was on a raleigh hybrid 700c wheels my buddy he's about 75# lighter then me could pass cars with it.but the roads around here are like riding on railroad tracks and the wheels went to **** so i went to 26 inch so far so good maybe try taller or skinnier wheels less rolling resistance.i think i could hit 40mph with my setup on those wheels.if i were to try the salt flats i would use taller wheels.

Lowes has E-3 plugs for 5.95 home depot has them for 7.95. I have a lot of experiance with these plugs. If you gap them too wide like .035 like they recomend the motor will run fine and will never quit on you but when you stop it wont start no spark, gap tends to open a little to the point where the ing cant make the jump, just regap to .025 and the plug will last a long time, I have 1 in a echo blower with 80 gal. through it.

thanks for that info, kawasaki...so far, (at .030) the plug is very clean & starting seems to only be impaired by the rich mixture, coupla yanks and it's good to go. i knew i could get the plug cheaper, but i couldn't get it locally.

yeah, sawman, i realize there are a lot of other things i could do if i had full resources to build a bike ONLY for racing...i guess my hope is that someone will be inspired to do a whole project for next season.

E3 Plugs is Good Stuff

just thought this was newsworthy...this is the E3.12 (.030) after 100 miles of really-rich running...i don't think spark is gonna be my weak link. today i'm trying a length of stout air-tubing (i fuel-tested a piece overnite in a bit of gasoline) that's cut to match my displacement/volume, 32cc = 2.14tbsp...like a boost-bottle w/o the bottle.

Attachments

• Mvc-237f.jpg
    Mvc-237f.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 256
  • MVC-240F.JPG
    MVC-240F.JPG
    66.9 KB · Views: 251
Last edited:
Back