2-stroke snowblower rebuild.

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by sjackson, Dec 3, 2008.

1. sjackson

sjackson Member

Well it's that time of year again... and once again, my mother's snow blower won't start up. Of course, I think her problem is that she leaves the gas in it from last season... This year she just got fed up with it and decided that she's going to get rid of it rather than have it fixed again. I told her that would be pointless, because it probably still has a lot of life left in it. So I got the go ahead to fix it myself.

I'm sure that I'll have a fair amount of varnish to clean out of the carb, and will also have to do a top-end rebuild. Never really done that before. I reckon that if I screw it up real bad, she was going to throw the thing out anyway.

So any advice for a first timer?

2. arceeguy

arceeguy Active Member

I would just get a carb kit for it and leave the rest of the engine alone. No sense taking anything apart and replacing anything unless you really need to. The 2 cycle Tecumseh Snow King engines are very tough, I doubt it needs more than the carb kit.

3. graucho

graucho Active Member

:iagree:
    And dont forget a teaspoon seafoam in the gas... HaHaHa:devil2:

4. arceeguy

arceeguy Active Member

Ahhhhh yes, seafoam.

It's a powerful solvent - no, it's a lubricant.

It reminds me of the old SNL "schimmer" skit. It's a floor wax - no, it's a dessert topping. IT'S BOTH!! :innocent:

5. sjackson

sjackson Member

Awesome, thanks! I'll start with the carb kit and hopefully that'll do the trick. I've never used seafoam to clean an engine before, it's always been BG 44K. Is it better?