2009 Top 10 Beaches....Can I suggest a contest?

One of those Top 10 beaches is

• Less than 50 miles away

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • It's between 50-150 miles to the ocean

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • More than 150 miles, a two day event

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • I'm a landlubber or hillbilly

Votes: 3 37.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

bamabikeguy

Local time
2:26 PM
Friday is grocery day, I picked up today's paper, and I caught an article in section C:

HANALEI, Hawaii (AP) - If life is a beach, Hanalei Bay must be heaven.

This remote, two-mile crescent-shaped beach on Kauai where the emerald mountains meet the sparkling sea was selected No. 1 on "Dr. Beach" Stephen P. Leatherman's 2009 list of top 10 beaches, which was released Friday.

Hanalei beat out other shores stretching from San Diego to Cape Cod.

"The sheer beauty of Hanalei Bay is breathtaking," said Leatherman, director of Florida International University's Laboratory for Coastal Research. "It's really an idyllic setting."

1. Hanalei Bay, on Kauai, Hawaii
2. Siesta Beach in Sarasota, Fla.
3. Coopers Beach in Southampton, N.Y., on Long Island
4. Coronado Beach in San Diego
5. Hamoa Beach in Maui, Hawaii
6. Main Beach in East Hampton, N.Y., on Long Island
7. Cape Hatteras in Outer Banks, N.C.
8. Cape Florida State Park in Key Biscayne, Fla.
9. Coast Guard Beach on Cape Cod, Mass.
10 Beachwalker Park on Kiawah Island, S.C.

Leatherman based his selections on 50 criteria, including water quality and temperature, cleanliness, weather, sand, safety and facilities. And Hanalei is his personal favorite "getaway beach" in Hawaii.

More of the article....
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/nationworld/nation/wire/sns-ap-best-beaches,0,3047362.story

All of those beaches are out of my reach, but not out of the MBquestion.

So I was thinking, why not have a contest, see who can reach one of the Top 10 first, or how fast we can compile MBpix of all 10, possibly by the end of the summer? Just get your bike and a sign in the same picture frame.

There are no rules, we give praise to whoever rides the furthest to reach one, who has the most breakdowns on their quest, who hits 4-5 just for the heck of it.....even the biggest group to hit one beach at the same time.

If you are looking for a target, Dr. Leatherman has tested the water for you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Coast Guard Beach, CC is an easy one for me but I have to chuckle a little when I see one of Dr. Beach's criteria is "safety".

I've seen that place howl.
beach.jpg

The #1 beach in the world is on the island of NEVIS BWI ( British West Indies)
I Love it there, It's unspolied only 1 hotel, The four seasons and you better has a truckload of cash to stay there.

Worlds Best Beach

Hello People, this is, easily, the worlds best beach. Its on the Tasmanian East Coast, within a National Park and cannot be accessed by car, thereby reducing the number, and type, of visitors, and mostly when we go there, its deserted. The white sand, and warm australian east coast current, make this place truly memorable. It can be accessed by boat tour from Coles Bay, or walked to, over a spectacular track in about 30 mins. All up, about 2 hours from Hobart. :cool:

Attachments

• Wine%20Glass%20Bay.jpg
    Wine%20Glass%20Bay.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 273
  • wineglass_bay.jpg
    wineglass_bay.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 283
  • Wineglass-Bay-Tasmania-420x0.jpg
    Wineglass-Bay-Tasmania-420x0.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 270
Hey

I think Aussies should be excluded from this poll
We all know they have the best beaches in the world...
nothing beats the Great Barrier !!!!
:giggle:

Back