22mm Throttle Assembly Help

Discussion in 'Whizzer Motorized Bicycles' started by RusticoRay, Nov 11, 2008.

1. RusticoRay

RusticoRay Member

I tried for a while now to get my 08 ne5 to run halfway decent but I toke suggestions on adjusting air and idle screws no good, it sputters at low throttle. I took throttle body apart to put needle at the second notch and cannot remember how to put back together. Some things should be left to professionals. I adjusted needle to the second notch but there is a v shaped clip the ends are bent around in a half circle that goes on top of the throttle valve somewhere it attaches to the spring. A picture or drawing would be worth a millon. I cant drive the bike yet 3 more weeks in a sling but as long as theres no snow and I can get it back together Im riding.

2. RdKryton

RdKryton Active Member

I'll try to help.
    When you put the needle back into the slide, the clip goes into the slide next. It lays on top of the clip on the needle to hold the needle in place. Next put the slide back into the carb. Make sure you put it in the right way. The slide must close off the opening through the carb. Next put the spring into the carb on top of the V shaped clip and compress it down so you can screw the top of the carb back on. I hope this helps.

Jim

3. RusticoRay

RusticoRay Member

Thanks for your help. So the V shape clip sits in top of throttle valve and rest on both sides of C clip that holds the needle and then the pressure from the spring prevents the needle from moving. If I put slide back into carb then the spring and compress it how do I get the throttle cable attached? No stupid questions I hope.

4. RdKryton

RdKryton Active Member

Hi again
    The throttle cable get connected to the slide after the needle and clip are in place. This is the hardest part of the assembly procedure. You have to slide the spring onto the cable and then compress it so you have enough of the cable to lock into the slide. Unfortunately I don't have any pictures to help you understand what I'm trying to say. Hope this helps you.
    Jim

5. RusticoRay

RusticoRay Member

Thanks Jim,
    Yes very tricky indeed I think I got it. Ill have to wait till tomorrow to run it, just hope the second notch smothes it out. It has the #88 jet and is still got the full restriction maybe that will be next. Trying one thing at a time.

6. RdKryton

RdKryton Active Member

Glad you got it together. Did you use the second notch from the top or bottom?
    Jim

I believe opening the restrictor will help too but I'm not sure you want to mess with that while it's still under warranty.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2008
  7. RusticoRay

RusticoRay Member

It was on the middle notch I moved it up one, second from the top. If the warranty meens what I went threw with the auto clutch( the new one I had to wait for looked like it was recycled a dozen times). I think Ill get rid of the restrictor.

8. Quenton Guenther

Quenton Guenther Motored Bikes Sponsor

Hi Rusticoray, Most likely the #88 main jet is too large. Most use a #82 or #85. The #85 is my fastest selling main jet and the #82 is next.

Have fun,

9. RusticoRay

RusticoRay Member

Hello,
    I started this morning ran like before. So I went on with the warranty thing Unibit instead of Dremil 18mm looked good put back together. I got it running but with idle way to high would not idle any lower without stalling ran it around the block. High end was good 30 mph but when I got back it just wont idle. I took off the air filter rubbed my finger inside and it was alittle wet. The air screw is 1/2 turn out any more and it just dies. The idle is at 2 1/8 out. I have to give it a little throttle to keep it running. I read up on the air screw being at 1 - 1 1/2 turns out get motor to run warm of course and adjust one way or the other to high point then on to the Idle screw to idle at 1200 - 2000 rpm. Plug not carboned looks white a the tip. Do ya think the 82 or 85 jet would be my salvation? Or something else to look at
    Thanks in advance

10. RdKryton

RdKryton Active Member

My 22mm carb had a very small pilot jet. It made the same problem with the air bleeder screw.
    1/2 turn was all I could jet it to or it would not run. I ordered a new stock pilot jet and everything else started to fall into place. I believe I ended up with an 86 main jet.

Jim

11. RusticoRay

RusticoRay Member

12. RdKryton

RdKryton Active Member

Yes. That is the one.
    Jim

13. jbcruisin

jbcruisin Member

I use a needle nose pliers to hold the spring up while slipping the throttle cable into the slide. The pliers holds onto the cable to keep the spring in place. Using my fingers to hold the spring up didn't work for me. The spring kept slipping down. I also use a needle nose pliers to put the v shaped clip in place. I put the clip in the slide & then reach in with the pliers to compress it & get it to seat into place.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2008
  14. Quenton Guenther

Hi, Might be worth a quick check of the lifter clearance. Factory suggests .009". I suggest .006" on the intake, and .008" on the exhaust, but only if using modified lifters with a level base.

have fun,

15. RusticoRay

RusticoRay Member

Hello,
    I took the fuel line off carb and opened shutoff at the tank. I noticed no fuel flowing after the filter. Is the fuel being sucked out of the tank or is supposed to gravity feed to the carb?

Thanks in advance

16. Quenton Guenther

Gravity.... Also check the shut off valve for paint chips [common problem] from the tank. Gas should flow freely with valve open.

Have fun,

17. n8ygn

n8ygn Member

Question about the petcock

bikes I have owned before usually the lever is straight down my ambassador runs that way but the writing on the red part of the lever looks as though it should be at a 90 degree the other direction is a three way valve with a reserve or just on or off. I quess I explained properly.
    Dane

18. RdKryton

RdKryton Active Member

It is just an on off. Down for on and 90 degrees up in either direction for off.

Jim

19. RusticoRay

RusticoRay Member

4 pound hammer

I drained the gas out of the carb. for the winter. Id put stabilizer in and run but dont have that option this winter.
    I tried to start the bike several hours on different days but couldnt get it to run at all. I was so frustrated I had a four pound hammer in my hand and needed a slight push to end my whizzer problems. I think its time to get away from bike for now. 10-15F overnite temps around here.
    I have no idea how to check lifters but if someone could do a step by step with pictures it would be so appreciated.This is what Ive done so far.
    1. Checked tank and shutoff for obstuctions looks good.

2. I changed fuel filter, the original had lots of paint chips in it. The second filter had some small chips and the one I just put on is the third since 300miles.

3. Moved needle one notch towards top (had a little trouble but with help from here back together).

4. I used carb cleaner and compressed air on pilot jet looks unobstucted.

5. #88 to #84 jet.

6. Unibit to open up that thing to 18mm.

I love riding this whizzer and I know my carb. problems or other issue will be solved. I put new gas in the snowblower this morning old ariens 7hp one squirt of ether and full choke, one pull and the driveway will be clear. Just in case I want to ride my Dax Titan on Fuji 5speed (the bike came out in better shape than I did in my accident). Am I wrong to think my whizzer should be as easy to run? Thanks all in advance.

20. jbcruisin

jbcruisin Member

Hi,
    Once you get out the bugs it should start & run great. Mine starts every time after pedaling about 5 to 8 feet. Don't give up on it.
    Jay