24" or 26" which should I get?

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by oldnube, Oct 22, 2011.

1. oldnube

oldnube Member

I am getting a Huffy Cruser from walmart. I weigh 22O lbs, with a V mounted 66cc egine should I get a 24" or a 26" bike?

2. 5-7HEAVEN

5-7HEAVEN Member

Why are you considering a 24" frame? How tall are you? Do you have balance issues or physical disabilities?

Not meaning to disrespect you, my friend. Just trying to get info.:grin5:
  3. oldnube

oldnube Member

I am 5' 7" I have no balance problems, I think a 24" motorized would look so cool.
  4. 5-7HEAVEN

5-7HEAVEN Member

I'm 5'7" too, with short legs. I also considered 24" bikes because I didn't feel comfortable on 26" bikes. However, I keep the seat bottomed out and choose 18"-19" frames. Now I'm fine.

FWIW, 26" bikes have greater choices in tires and rims. Don't forget to carefully measure the frame space for the engine.

Good luck.
  5. seanhan

seanhan Member

26 inch bike
  6. oldnube

oldnube Member

I was thinking the 26" may make it easier on the motor to pull my fat butt along. Little engine BIG man, it needs all the help I can give it.
  7. 5-7HEAVEN

5-7HEAVEN Member

I also vote for 26".
  8. retromike3

retromike3 Member

26" in gearing

when I first was thinking about these things I wondered about the same question. I cam back with three answers. First: the gearing on these engines is pretty short to begin with and Second: the rolling resistance is much less with a 26 than a 24 because the smaller wheel has to turn more times than the bigger one. Finally : they type of tire selection you have with a 26" is a whole lot bigger. I run a 1.5 semi-slick tire with thorn-proof tubes and Slime tire protectors and it really go's well. According to my Iphone It clocks at about thirty five MPH that is fast enough for me (for now):devilish:

9. IbedaYank

IbedaYank Member

tire selection is MUCH better with 26inch tires
  10. MikeJ

MikeJ Member

My first build was a 24" boys bike. The engine fit fine and the finished product ran well. But the frame was cramping my size of 5'10". My knees were only inches from the handlebar grips. I felt a little like a Shriner on one of their microbikes. Finding tires and little parts and pieces was never a serious problem. A lady friend found the high center of gravity compared to wheelbase made it really easy to fly over the handlebars if hitting a low curb and applying front brakes too hard both at the same time.

My 26" Haro V3 men's bike was much more agreeable. I rode it over 1300 miles. Am now moving on to additional 26" builds with 2.3" tires (I don't recall those tires available in 24 inch diameters).

11. andyinchville1

andyinchville1 New Member

I'd vote for the 26" because of the added tire / wheel choices if you decide to upgrade.